This video has been making the rounds the last few days, and this evening I finally got a chance to watch it. If you’re a fan of “Mad Men,” as I am, you may recognize Jon Hamm, though he is looking quite different from his suave Don Draper character.
He’s also giving advice to teenage girls, much to my surprise. Some poking around revealed “Ask a Grown Man” to be a regular feature of an online magazine called Rookie, which seems too cool for me now… nevermind when I actually was a teenager. I’m pretty sure that back then, it would have blown my mind.
Eileen’s post last Monday analyzing the season premiere of “Mad Men” got me thinking that it might be fun to do co-written weekly posts looking at each episode, with quotes and fun stuff like that. Well, Eileen kept up her end of the bargain, but, well… I failed. My day was busy, busy, busy and I never had an opportunity to write up what I wanted to say. I did, however, write down quotes as I watched last night, so a list of Eileen’s and my favorite quotes will have to do. Discuss amongst yourselves for now, and I’ll try to do better next week. Or maybe I’ll chime in on the comments tomorrow if things are less insane.
- “Lane scaled it back to a bottle of gin and a box of Velveeta… We’re tightening our belts.” – Don
- “Young women look up to older women.”
“For beauty tips? Are you joking?” – Freddy/Peggy
- “Don’t worry… I’m sure yours will be better, because you’re girlier.” – Freddy
- “We need to change its rating from convalescent home to Roman orgy.” – Roger
- “You’re never going to get me to do anything Swedish people do.” – Peggy
- “We have gifts, girls, and games but first I’m gonna get you some food.” – Joan
- “I feel like with my hair, you can’t even see me in here.” – Roger
- “Nothing makes old ladies look good!” – Peggy
- “Oh, I always forget… nobody wants to think they’re a type.” – Faye
- “I’ve probably taken advantage of your kindness on too many occasions…” – Don (Eileen adds, “ya think?”)