I had a notion today that I’d dig into the blog archives and dust off a past November 12 and comment on whatever I was up to however many years back, but as it turns out, I wasn’t up to much. Facebook confirms this — the only notable thing in the “On This Day” feature was last year’s massive southern food lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room in Savannah. (Which was delightful; I may still be full from the amount I ate.)
So instead, here’s a random assortment of things that are knocking around my brain:
- I had my first gingerbread latte of 2015 this week. It’s still too early for winter drinks or holiday themes, but it was delicious and made my Monday better, so no regrets.
- My friend Priya bought me the last of the Tana French books I mentioned yesterday. So if you’re looking for me on Saturday, I’ll be in Dublin, by way of my couch.
- After a week of fairly consistent pain, my back issue seems to be easing up tonight. Fingers crossed that it’s finally on the way out the door.
- I think I’ve listened to Hamilton about a hundred times already this week.
- Yesterday, I took advantage of the day off to do some cooking. I made myself a pot of spicy lentil soup and a big batch of applesauce — and when I went to pack them up to take to work today, I realized the combination made for a very baby food-looking lunch. (Delicious, though.)
- Despite knowing exactly nothing about fantasy football, I’m leading the family league my nephews wanted to create. Going into week 10, I am 7-1-1 and can only assume my regular season dominance will be resolved in the manner of all regular season sports dominance in D.C.: with a crushing playoff collapse.
- Speaking of football, I need tailgating ideas for Sunday. I’m going with my friend Alison, and we’re meeting our friends Liz and Geoff and their kids, so… Anyone have great kid- and vegetarian-friendly tailgate recommendations? There will be a grill available.