When a weekend arrives during time off from work and is punctuated on either side with holidays, I feel a bit like the Dowager Countess on “Downtown Abbey” when she famously asked, “What is a week-end?” For the purposes of this post, I’m going to go long-weekend style — Friday through Sunday. So, over the last three days I…
- Worked on my pre-2015 to-do list like a fiend. I cleaned out my front closet, the storage alcove in the living room, my desk, and the night stands. I dealt with (that is: opened, read, and threw out) the giant bag of mail I’d been accumulating for the last six months. I ordered New Years cards. (Christmas cards were a non-starter this year, so I thought I’d start a new tradition.)
- Joined my brother, sister-in-law for a hike at Great Falls Park in Virginia, on a surprisingly warm and sunny Friday afternoon.
- Glued two years worth of scrap paper-stamped cancellations into my National Parks passport. (I was reminded at Great Falls that I had a stack of them to do… and also resolved to actually remember to bring the book with me when I go places, as intended.)
- Ran errands (CVS, Hill’s Kitchen, Eastern Market) — and rewarded myself with lunch at District Taco.
- Taped up the leaky window in my bedroom.
- Ordered shoes to go with my Rent the Runway dress for the DC inaugural shindig on Friday. They are cute, but too damn high.
- Spent some time with my mom, sister-in-law, and nephews down on the Mall. We hit the Natural History museum for a while, but it was just absurdly crowded, so we didn’t last all that long. After they all headed back to the Metro for the long haul back to Virginia (yay, Silver Line!), I headed over to the Smithsonian Castle to catch Souvenir Nation, an exhibit I’ve been meaning to go to for a year or more.
- Finished up my time down on the Mall with a visit to the National Gallery, where I checked out the new exhibit of Edgar Degas’ Little Dancer, and then headed downstairs to get gelato and bounce on the walkway between the East and West buildings of the Gallery. Because I’m a five year old on the inside.
How was your weekend?
Weekending along with Pumpkin Sunrise.