I’m going to take a liberal definition of “weekend” for today’s 10 on Tuesday topic – 10 Things I Did This Weekend (provided by Carole, as per usual) – because I took a few days off from work last week while my sister and nephew were in town, making my holiday weekend even longer.* And also, some really cool stuff happened before the weekend technically started.
1. Shook Michelle Obama’s hand. On Wednesday, I got to attend (and live-tweet) a work event where the First Lady was the featured speaker. Though she wasn’t able to stay long enough to take pictures, she was very gracious about shaking hands and saying hello to many of us. She’s much taller in person than I expected.
2. Met Gloria Estefan. In early May, the job announced Gloria Estefan as the “voice” of our campaign to save Miami Marine Stadium, and last Thursday, she came to our offices to talk with us about preservation and music and suchlike. Again, more live-tweeting (and asking questions on behalf of the Internet), but this time I got a photo!
3. Spent time with my sister and nephew. And my mom. And my cousins. Eileen and James were in town to visit, so I spent a lot of time hanging out with them – and Mom came down to join in on the fun. On Saturday, we added Susan and the Pennsylvania cousins (and a few others; see below) to the mix for a big family cookout at my brother and sister-in-law’s house.
4. Saw BFF Shannon. She and her husband, Steve, were in town to ride in the Rolling Thunder motorcycle rally for Memorial Day (which I did with him a few years back) and so I had the chance to spend most of the day on Saturday with her.
5. Went to Wegmans. Twice. This shouldn’t be important, but as both a Central New Yorker who grew up with Wegmans and as someone who loves food… well, it’s just the pinnacle of all grocery shopping.
6. Planted my porch garden. I am super-late on getting it planted this year, but between being busy and the fairly crappy weather this spring, neither the time nor the urgency was there. But now, I’ve got some flowers and herbs going, so all is well.
7. Went strawberry picking. And with four adults and two kids picking (well, one kid, since James didn’t really get that he had to put them in the basket) for only two households, we ended up with a lot of strawberries. (And by a lot I mean that so far I’ve made 17 muffins, six jars of freezer jam, three quarts sliced & frozen, and a strawberry-rhubarb crisp… and I still have two (not small) bowls left over!)
8. Rode a very small ferry. Did you know it’s possible to take a ferry across the Potomac? I did not until this weekend. It only takes about five minutes – if you don’t have to wait in a long line to board, like we did.
9. Introduced Eileen and Shannon to my current musical obsession, Kacey Musgraves’ “Merry Go Round.” Give it a listen. You’ll be hooked too.
10. Drove. A lot. Because so much of this weekend’s fun took place out at Brian and Jen’s house, I went back and forth (45ish minutes each way) several times. I pretty much did about six months worth of driving in one weekend. It’s kind of exhausting.
What did you do with your long weekend?
* Not as long as I planned, as the first two items make clear. Though I had intended to take Wednesday-Friday off, there was no chance on earth I would pass up either opportunity that arose, so I worked a couple of hours on two of my days off.