Mmmm… Pizza. Today’s 10 on Tuesday topic – favorite pizza toppings (as usual, from Carole Knits) – is a tasty one!
Here are my faves:
1. Nothing. A slice of good New York (or New Haven) style pizza is perfection all on its own and needs no toppings. Well, except for a few red pepper flakes from the shaker on the table.
2. Pepperoni, sausage, and onions. If I am somewhere with decent, but not amazing, pizza, this topping combination always makes it tasty.
3. Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. I love the simplicity of a margherita pizza. Bonus points if the tomatoes are super fresh.
4. Bacon. Back when my brother used to work for Pizza Hut (darn near half a lifetime ago), he used save out to bring me bacon pizza for lunch sometimes.
5. Meatballs. I don’t feel like I see this as an option down here in the “south” very often – the default beef option is ground meat – but sliced meatballs on a pizza are yummy.
6. Prosciutto, figs, and gorgonzola. This is the combo on one of my favorites at Matchbox, one of the neighborhood pizza joints. It sounds kind of strange, but it’s really tasty.
7. Barbecue chicken. This is my go-to if I happen to be at a California Pizza Kitchen. I’ve never had it anywhere else that I have liked it as much.
8. Buffalo chicken. Why get pizza and wings when, to save time, you can basically get the wings on the pizza?
9. White pizza. Garlic sauce, lots of cheese!
10. Fried chicken and broccoli. Back when I worked at a bank in Guilderland, NY, we used to order this pizza from… somewhere (I honestly have no recollection whatsoever of what the place was called)… that had white sauce with fried chicken and broccoli. It was amazing, and I’ve never had one like it since. It’s a testament to how good it was that it still makes the top 10 almost 15 years since I last ate it.
What are your favorite things to put on a pizza?