10 on Tuesday: Books That Make Me Think

Today’s list idea – Top Ten Books That Make You Think – comes courtesy of the Broke and the Bookish.

My list is not really a top 10 insofar as a) it’s not in any particular order and b) it’s split into five fiction and five nonfiction books, but I think it follows the spirit of the prompt, if not the letter.

And since there is no way to caption a photo easily from my iPhone, this will have to do: Four out of the 10 books below have been loaned out, never to be seen again, one is on my Kindle, and here are the other five.

20120911-234708.jpg
1. The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood

2. The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison

3. Midnight’s Children, Salman Rushdie

4. Atonement, Ian McEwan

5. Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell

6. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot

7. Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War, Tony Horowitz

8. First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers, Loung Ung

9. The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion

10. My Life in France, Julia Child

What are your favorite thinky books?

8 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Books That Make Me Think

1. Eileen September 12, 2012 / 12:35 am

How many of those were loaned to me (and therefore burned up in the fire)? I know First They Killed My Father was one. Did I also have the JC book (I think I did)? I’m happy to replace them in whatever format you prefer.

Any sorry. My house was a black whole for loaned books.

• Sarah September 12, 2012 / 10:50 am

You think you had “My Life in France”? Good to know – I remembered getting it back from Wendy but couldn’t remember who got it next. And yes, you definitely had “First they Killed My Father.” I had them both in hardback originally, but wonder if I’d want ebooks for the replacement instead. Hmm…

And you’d only have to replace them if it’s w/ the insurance money. Otherwise, NBD.

2. maryann September 12, 2012 / 6:33 pm

(Thank you, Sarah, I love book prompts) First thought, How rarely I read “thinky” books now. But I recently read “Confessions: The Making of a Postdenominational Priest” by Matthew Fox – way over my head and challenging.

On another plane entirely, a thinky book for great fun – Love, Loss and What I Wore by Irene Beckerman. Takes 20 minutes but sticks in your head for many more. Especially a hoot for those of us born in the ’40s. And makes all of us remember what we wore and why.

I read Henrietta Lacks and did not like it – maybe because it made me angry. And thank you for reminding me that I meant to read Year of Magical Thinking.

• Sarah September 12, 2012 / 11:27 pm

Oh, Henrietta Lacks made me angry too, Maryann, but all the stuff that infuriated me – the racism/sexism, the privileged attitude of the doctors, the poverty, the abuse – was what made me think so much… Usually incredulous thoughts like “How can our world be like this. How? HOW?”

And just a note on The Year of Magical Thinking – I said it made me think. I didn’t say I liked it.

3. Andrea September 12, 2012 / 7:10 pm

Guests of the Sheik by Elizabeth Ferna is one of my favorites. Read it first in college, then again a number if years later and you have now prompted me to pull it off the shelf and read it again. It will be a departure from the fluffy romance novels that I usually devour.

• Sarah September 12, 2012 / 11:27 pm

I haven’t heard of that – I’ll have to give it a look. Thanks!

4. susan September 12, 2012 / 8:34 pm

My favorite thinking book from this summer was Joel Rosenberg’s “Inside the Revolution: How the Followers of Jihad, Jefferson and Jesus are Battling to Dominate the Middle East and Transform the World”. Even the title is think-y :-)! It takes a third of the book to try and explain the mindset of each of the three different schools of thought represented in the title.

• Sarah September 12, 2012 / 11:28 pm

Yowza. Just the title on that one makes my brain hurt.