I Knew This Would Happen

I love this chair – not in this color, but the shape of it, with its slightly overlarge “Alice in Wonderland” back. And there’s an ottoman that goes with it, so it’s comfy!

This afternoon when I was done with work, I ran a rather odd errand for my sister – to a furniture showroom for a store they don’t have in Houston, Room and Board. I was tasked with assessing some furniture she’d seen online to provide intel on whether or not it would work in the new house. I had a list of pieces to look at and was supposed to judge them on comfort, quality, and aesthetics. I thought the last one would be pretty difficult, as I have pretty much no discernible style when it comes to home design. So, while I am glad she trusted me with this reconnaissance mission, I felt fairly unsuited to the task.

As it turns out, though, this furniture store is laid out in such a way, and has such nice-looking stuff, that it was really easy to figure out what looked good and what didn’t. For example, the couch Eileen wanted me to look at just happened to have the ugliest upholstery in the entire store, so while it was comfortable, I was able to steer her away from the “default” fabric to something else.

The unfortunate side effect of spending an hour looking at beautiful room set-ups was not unexpected: I now want to re-decorate in the worst way. Or, I should say, it made the urge worse, since it’s something I’ve been thinking about for about six months now. I’d like my apartment to finally look like an adult lives in it, not someone who relies on hand-me-downs and Ikea for furnishings. But because I’ve never really prioritized this before, I have no idea where to begin. I assume there must be something in between the fancy stuff I saw today and Ikea, but I don’t know what it is.

Any recommendations? I’d be looking for living room furniture – sleeper sofa, chair, shelves/bookcases – and bedroom furniture – headboard, nightstand, bureau, bookcase.

12 thoughts on “I Knew This Would Happen

1. Maggie [The Freckled Citizen] September 7, 2012 / 11:48 pm

What about West Elm? The pricepoints are in the middle range you noted, and they often have sales. It’s a hike out to Tyson’s to look (the Georgetown pop-up doesn’t have much furniture), but could be worthwhile to get your wheels turning.

• Sarah September 8, 2012 / 11:01 pm

Oh, good idea. I’d forgotten about West Elm. I don’t think I’ve been in one since the store downtown closed.

2. Joanne September 7, 2012 / 11:56 pm

Beats me, lady. We’ve been in our house three years now, and I’m only now picking paint colors. Decorating is so intimidating…

• Eileen September 8, 2012 / 8:21 am

Hi Joanne. If you haven’t already done so buy the smallest can of your selections and try them out on your walls first. I now have 25 quarts (which you can then use for art projects or donate to habitat for humanity – they mix ’em up and use them up). All 25 cost less than hiring painters for one room twice.

And good luck. I hated the paint selection process 🙂

3. Mom September 8, 2012 / 7:19 am

You start out slowly doing JUST what you are now until something hits your eye and THAT’S IT. Do a couple of laps around the store, come back and look at the eye-popper again, and wallah, your decision is made! Sorry, but gotta toss in, as a pet person, keep in mind that right now you have two new kitties 😏

• Sarah September 8, 2012 / 11:03 pm

Since I’ve been thinking about this since February, I probably should’ve done it before the kittens arrived. But, I’m working to train them not to scratch on the furniture, so fingers crossed…

4. Eileen September 8, 2012 / 8:17 am

You can’t get hung up on the cats. It’s not like you’re going to hold off on having new or pretty things til they’re gone anymore than we are limiting our stuff til there aren’t toddlers or teenagers in the house. I’m just skipping the new trend of white sofas – cause that seems like a bad idea for everyone 🙂

• Sarah September 8, 2012 / 11:04 pm

Hah. If I waited until they were gone, we’d be talking almost 17 years, if they live as long as Dingle did.

5. Common Loon September 8, 2012 / 8:23 am

One of the nicer pieces in our house is from Ikea. We like that their furniture is often multi-use and not as over-sized as most (works better in smaller spaces). There was a lady that came to our house and gave us some design options (it was $300, she gave us furniture, colors, paints, where to save money, where to spend, discounts). She took all of our inputs and made a plan that we like, but have yet to fully implement. She even offered to shop with us. That price was for our entire house, so I would thnk that you could find someone near you to do that for an apartment! Takes the “overwhelming” out of the task.

• Sarah September 8, 2012 / 11:07 pm

I really like my paint colors (I painted before I moved in) and I at least kind of know what I like. I think for me, finding what I want/need within my budget would be the issue.

Well, that and figuring out how to get rid of what I have.

6. Common Loon September 8, 2012 / 11:20 pm

Craigslist.

• Sarah September 8, 2012 / 11:42 pm

Ugh. Hate Craigslist. Such a PITA.

But you’re probably right. Only other option would be to donate it all, which I can’t really afford to do.