10 on Tuesday: Favorite TV Shows from My Childhood

10 on Tuesday: Favorite TV Shows from My Childhood
Laura Ingalls, aiming her best stink-face in Nellie Olsen’s direction.

Even though I was born in the 70s, I was fortunate not to have tv-scorning hippie parents, so responding to today’s list prompt – favorite shows from my childhood – was a pretty easy task. Frankly, narrowing down my picks to 10 was the hard part. So, consider this a partial list, then:

1. Little House on the Prairie. Between the books and the tv show, I’m pretty sure I spent most of my childhood wishing I was Laura Ingalls.

2. Brady Bunch. I’m not sure how there were constant re-runs of this in the after-school hours in a time before cable, but there was. I feel like I’ve probably seen every episode a hundred times, but that’s undoubtedly an exaggeration.

3. Silver Spoons. I was just talking about this with friends the other night as the origin of my lifelong Jason Bateman crush.

4. Family Ties. Alex P. Keaton made me the liberal I am today, I swear.

5. Dallas. Obviously, very much not a kids’ show, but I remember “Who shot J.R.?” being the hot question on everyone’s mind in my Girl Scout troop and I spent a whole summer catching up so I’d be ready for the big reveal. It was… Kristin, I think.

6. The Partridge Family. I was really more into Shaun Cassidy than David Cassidy, but I loved this anyway. Honestly, I’ve always been a little sad my family didn’t form a band. (But knowing what my dad considered singing, the rest of the world ought to be grateful we didn’t.)

7. M*A*S*H. This was one of my dad’s favorites, and we watched it all the time.

8. Happy Days. Like the Brady Bunch, this was a rerun staple after school. I think Fonzie pretty much set the benchmark for cool for an entire generation of kids.

9. Mork & Mindy. I know I had the lunchbox. And the rainbow suspenders. Yet, I remember nothing about why I liked this show so much. Adult me finds Robin Williams – especially in clips from his coked up phase, when M & M was on – to be kind of obnoxious, so I just don’t get it.

10. Solid Gold. Before there was MTV, we relied on the interpretive routines of the Solid Gold Dancers to tell us what music was popular. I know, right? So primitive.

What were your faves?

13 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Favorite TV Shows from My Childhood

1. jennasauber August 14, 2012 / 10:08 pm

Well, we went over the Little House stuff last night. I’m with you on that being my number one. Others include: Happy Days, M*A*S*H, The Cosby Show, Growing Pains, A Different World, Fresh Prince, Saved By the Bell, Bonanza, Bewitched. I still watch a lot of these on syndication today. I guess things changed when I hit my teens and I started watching The West Wing.

• Sarah August 14, 2012 / 10:18 pm

I thought about including The Cosby Show, but I think I was in my teens when that came out, so I thought maybe that was a stretch for childhood. Miami Vice got the axe for the same reason.

2. Mom August 14, 2012 / 10:13 pm

And, you left out “Sesame Street”, “Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood”, “Captain Kangeroo” — your starters! Did you watch too much TV???

• Sarah August 14, 2012 / 10:16 pm

Ah, I didn’t even think of that sort of stuff – I started more when I was old enough to be picking my own tv shows, at least to some extent.

3. Mom August 14, 2012 / 10:16 pm

P.S. I think your little black kittie loves you!! So adorable curled up on your shins 😊

4. Eileen August 14, 2012 / 11:38 pm

I’m going to post my comment before I read Sarah’s list…I am curios to see how much overlap we have.
    1. M*A*S*H. This might possibly be one of the first shows I remember seeing on t.v. It was also one of dads favorites. Such a good program.
    2. The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite. Super geeky I know, but I’ve also been a news hound (and in another life considered going to journalism school).
    3. Little House on the Prairie. We grew up together. What else can I say?
    4. Family Ties. I think there were enough similarities with our family growing up that this was a natural fit.
    5. The Facts of Life. They were perky and quirky and fun.
    6. Kate and Allie. Just a fun show with the bonus that Allison Smith (who played Allies daughter Jennie) also played Annie on Broadway – and I l.o.v.e.d. Annie!
    7. The Cosby Show. It was ground breaking and funny.
    8. Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Words can not describe my obsession with this show. I adored Bruce Boxleitner – epic crush – and his Porsche Spider. (And it still fascinates me that my childhood idol – Laura Ingalls (aka Melissa Gilbert) married Bruce as an adult!)
    9. Dallas. Must see t.v., even if I was “allowed” to watch it. So glad I had a big sister who was old enough that I could sneak in with!
    10. Beverly Hills 90210 (the original). This too was must see t.v., even as I set off to college. It was a bonding event in the dorm freshman year.

• Sarah August 15, 2012 / 10:27 am

Oh, I can’t believe I forgot The Facts of Life. Loved that! And “Scarecrow & Mrs. King” isn’t your #1? I am shocked. You taped and watched that over and over and over!

5. Eileen August 14, 2012 / 11:43 pm

PS. Okay, now I’ve read Sarah’s and her comments and I took childhood more liberally, since I included things that got me to college 🙂

6. susan August 15, 2012 / 8:23 am

I also liked Fame, Moonlighting, and some detective show with Pierce Brosnan (right name????) that I can half picture in my mind. Just watched ten minutes of a Little House last night :-). My girls are completely uninterested in it 😦

• Sarah August 15, 2012 / 10:28 am

Susan (and Mom) – The Pierce Brosnan show you’re thinking of is Remington Steele, which was long, long before he was Bond.

7. Mom August 15, 2012 / 9:16 am

Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, Susan ???

8. Dianne August 15, 2012 / 9:25 am

I had rainbow suspenders too because of Mork and Mindy! LOL I laughed about your Alex P Keaton comment. He may be the reason I am a conservative 🙂

• Sarah August 15, 2012 / 10:30 am

Hah! Funny that the same character could cause two such different outcomes!