10 on Tuesday: Favorite Ways to Eat Tomatoes

I stayed too late at the office to make it to the farmer’s market after work tonight, so I have no tomatoes on hand to live out  today’s prompt from Carole Knits, but I’ve eaten all of these enough times to be able to make a list of 10 favorite ways to eat tomatoes.

But first, a picture of tomatoes, to get you in the mood to read about them:

1. Caprese salad. Tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar. Yum!

2. Regular tomato sandwich. That is, nice bread, tomatoes, and mayo – very simple.

3. Special tomato sandwich. There’s a vendor at Eastern Market who sells Indian spice hummus, and it is seriously the best thing in the world on a tomato sandwich.

4. BLT. Eating a really good BLT can turn your whole day around. I am sure of this.

5. Sliced, with salt & pepper. Basic, and perfect.

6. Grilled cheese & tomato sandwich. What passes for a “seasonal” take on my comfort-food favorite.

7. In pasta salad. I made a particularly good one yesterday. Stay tuned for a recipe post soon.

8. Homemade salsa. I have a really good recipe that Wendy gave me years ago, though I haven’t made any yet this summer. Gotta get on that…

9. Margherita pizza. Caprese salad as a pizza, essentially. What’s not to like?

10. Regular (green) salad. OK, it’s a lame choice, but I think a green salad, with fresh tomatoes and blue cheese dressing, is delightful.

How do you like your tomatoes?

Also… we’ve started doing 10 on Tuesday posts at the office, as out way to share different tips and tools. Today was my turn to take a crack at it, with 10 Ways to Start Using Social Media to Save Places. Check it out!

7 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Favorite Ways to Eat Tomatoes

1. Mary Billingsley August 7, 2012 / 10:19 pm

One of my dad’s favorites was a big, red, summer tomato slice with a sprinkle of sugar. Most people eat it with salt. Try it with sugar. Delish.

2. Common Loon August 7, 2012 / 11:12 pm

I have always thought the proper way to eat a tomato sandwich was with mayo, as you state in #2. However, my DH thinks the only way to have one is with butter. So thanks, ’cause now it’s at least 2 v 1!

3. Fran August 7, 2012 / 11:16 pm

Years ago, your Dad introduced us to his favorite summertime gourmet breakfast … and now one of mine: tomatoes sauted in butter and served on toast. I just add a generous sprinkle of fresh basil. Delish. Another salad fav of mine is sliced toms with a generous spoonful of cottage cheese and dollop of mayo. Yum!

4. Eileen August 8, 2012 / 12:35 am

Bruschetta. On garlic toast. Yum!

5. Mom August 8, 2012 / 7:20 am

All of the above ++ (1) a tomato/onion/egg omelet, and (2) sautéd tomatoes with garlic, S&P, & parsley in a light cream sauce over toast. Hmmmm.

6. maryann August 8, 2012 / 5:30 pm

You’ve really got things pretty well covered Sarah. I thought of an omelet too (like your Mom) but with fontina cheese in addition – also makes a great frittata if it’s not too hot to turn the oven on. Another of our favorites is a salad of diced tomatoes and cucumbers, chick peas and Italian dressing – better if it sits overnight. Add green pepper dice if you like.

For Binghamton people, Nirchi’s does a nice “white” pizza, lots of garlic and mozzarella, with a big round tomato slice on each square slice.

I’ll be getting my tomatoes from the Farmer’s Market. Our “pet” deer ate all mine, even with net over them, and had dessert of nice red geraniums.

Oh – and let us not forget fried green tomatoes. Mmmm.

7. Fran August 8, 2012 / 9:42 pm

After ALL of the above, humble fresh diced pasta sauce 😘