I stayed too late at the office to make it to the farmer’s market after work tonight, so I have no tomatoes on hand to live out today’s prompt from Carole Knits, but I’ve eaten all of these enough times to be able to make a list of 10 favorite ways to eat tomatoes.
But first, a picture of tomatoes, to get you in the mood to read about them:
1. Caprese salad. Tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar. Yum!
2. Regular tomato sandwich. That is, nice bread, tomatoes, and mayo – very simple.
3. Special tomato sandwich. There’s a vendor at Eastern Market who sells Indian spice hummus, and it is seriously the best thing in the world on a tomato sandwich.
4. BLT. Eating a really good BLT can turn your whole day around. I am sure of this.
5. Sliced, with salt & pepper. Basic, and perfect.
6. Grilled cheese & tomato sandwich. What passes for a “seasonal” take on my comfort-food favorite.
7. In pasta salad. I made a particularly good one yesterday. Stay tuned for a recipe post soon.
8. Homemade salsa. I have a really good recipe that Wendy gave me years ago, though I haven’t made any yet this summer. Gotta get on that…
9. Margherita pizza. Caprese salad as a pizza, essentially. What’s not to like?
10. Regular (green) salad. OK, it’s a lame choice, but I think a green salad, with fresh tomatoes and blue cheese dressing, is delightful.
How do you like your tomatoes?
Also… we’ve started doing 10 on Tuesday posts at the office, as out way to share different tips and tools. Today was my turn to take a crack at it, with 10 Ways to Start Using Social Media to Save Places. Check it out!