Kittens!

I’ve been without a cat in the house for just under a year, and for a few months now, I’ve been feeling the urge to get a kitten to keep me company. I did a little research into cat adoption and was surprised by all the online stories I’d seen about how complicated it is – it seemed like a lot of rescue groups were more focused on putting up roadblocks than uniting pets with owners. (For example, I read several examples of people who were subjected to home studies, unannounced drop-in follow-up visits, and a variety of hoops far more suitable to human adoptions.) As someone who found her first pet through a newspaper ad and kept him alive, unsupervised, for nearly 17 years, I thought this seemed excessive. I did know, however, that not all shelters are so stringent, but I wasn’t sure how to find a good one.

And then, about a month ago, I noticed a woman I follow on Twitter and had met in passing through DC’s nonprofit circles, was posting pictures of kittens she was fostering. I was totally smitten, but didn’t reach out right away, because, well, it seemed totally awkward to be like, “Hey, I’ve met you like once, but I am totally Twitter-stalking your kittens.” As luck would have it, however, our paths crossed a week or so later at a conference, and I mentioned that I was in the market for a kitten or two. They were too small to be adoptable at that point, but she promised to be in touch when they were getting closer – which she expected would be shortly after my big trip to Alaska (and her even bigger trip to Southeast Asia).

To make a long story short (I know, too late) we met up this evening so I could meet the six foster kittens and pick out the ones I thought were meant to be mine. I gotta say, that was a hell of a challenge, because these kittens are ridiculously cute, and very sweet and playful. I ended up with going with my initial impulse, and picking the runts of the two litters:

I almost went with the black kitty’s two sisters, however, because they’re big enough to adopt right now, whereas my runty friends need to get up to two pounds – the weight at which they can be spayed – before they’re allowed to be mine. And the two sisters (gray kitty and tan kitty as described here*) were super-adorable and climbed up on my shoulders like Dingle used to do, which made them almost irresistible.

So, I have to wait a few weeks until black kitty and calico kitty are mine, but this gives me time to do important things like decide what to name them – though I think I may already know the answer. When I was on vacation, I had a dream one night that I had kittens named Harper and Carlson – yes, my subconscious named one of my future pets after the young superstar of the Nationals, and the other after one of the best defensemen on the Caps. On one hand, I think a) letting my dream decide is slightly kooky and b) naming them after sports stars might be fandom run amok, but on the other hand, I actually think they sound like pretty good pet names.

No matter what I end up calling them (feel free to discuss in the comments!) I think we will be very happy:

* The other four kittens remain up for adoption (technically, mine are too, in case I somehow don’t get approved or change my mind, but you can’t have them!) and since they’re being fostered by two of the nonprofit world’s top social media chicks, they have their own website. If you’re in the market for a cat – or just want to see kittens being cute – check it out.

24 thoughts on “Kittens!

1. Maggie [The Freckled Citizen] July 19, 2012 / 12:24 am

Ahhhh, so exciting!! KITTENS! I’m so glad you’re adopting two – they’ll be so happy growing up together!

I totally know what you mean about stringent adoption requirements, by the way. As a former dog owner myself (of a 130-lb gentle giant who lived a long and happy life), I can’t pass a single dog adoption questionnaire. I could easily skip this crap and go to a breeder, but I’d like to rescue a dog in need instead – so WHY IS IT SO HARD?

At any rate, rant over… and congrats!! Sending you happy kitten vibes across the way.

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:51 am

Glad to know I am not the only person who finds the pet adoption process to be overly complicated!

Maybe we need a kitty play date once they arrive – so we can finally have that IRL coffee we’ve discussed!

2. Eileen July 19, 2012 / 12:39 am

OMG they are so stinkin adorable!!! I might’ve gone with orange kitty and gray kitty but I think you’ve chosen well. Can’t wait to meet them!! Super exciting.

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:49 am

Orange Kitty and White Kitty didn’t seem all that taken with me. The other four liked me better, though I will grant you that Orange is probably the cutest.

3. Joanne July 19, 2012 / 1:08 am

Well, I’m glad you (will) have new cat companionship. However, black kitty looks evil. Calico kitty is cute, but is probably black kitty’s minion. They’re crafty like that…

• Eileen July 19, 2012 / 2:02 am

Not evil…studious (in a Pinky and the Brain kind of way)

• sionna July 19, 2012 / 9:47 am

There is no cat that could be as evil as Dingle was (may he rest in kitty peace)…and mean that most affectionately of course.

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:55 am

Fact. But I loved his evil self, and he loved me.

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:48 am

Black Kitty isn’t evil, Black Kitty is severely annoyed. She was sleeping peacefully on my lap and I woke her up to take the pictures. I think she’s well within her rights to be offering up the stinkeye. I would be!

• Eileen July 19, 2012 / 10:06 am

Maybe she needed some coffee 😉

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 10:45 am

Well, that would be a sure sign she was meant to be mine.

4. susan July 19, 2012 / 7:12 am

Nothing is cuter than kittens!!! Every time J and I discuss “why do we have cats?” I see a kitten picture and go “Oh yeah…that’s why!!!” Rose…who is really a terrible cat in many ways…will still try to crawl up to my shoulder and settle in there for the evening…like she used to do when J was in Kuwait and she only weighed a teeny bit. Adorable!!!

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:59 am

I don’t know how anyone can resist kittens. I can (sorta) see not liking cats, but you’re right – there is nothing cuter than kittens.

5. Common Loon July 19, 2012 / 7:25 am

Sarah, I love the names you are considering! I applaud Joanne’s courage to type something others may only have thought. Very happy to learn that you are adopting (after reading your tweet, I thought this might your post for the day)!

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:58 am

Thanks for the thumbs-up on the names. I think everyone else is so focused on the cuteness they forgot to mention it.

• Joanne July 19, 2012 / 10:04 pm

Ha ha, common loon! Sarah is well acquainted with my opinion of cats. 😀

6. Mom July 19, 2012 / 7:33 am

Ohhh, they are adorable and you look so happy!!!! When can they come “home”?

• Sarah July 19, 2012 / 9:45 am

Timing is TBD. All depends on how quickly they gain the necessary weight. I wouldn’t think more than a month, though…

7. Priya C. July 19, 2012 / 9:45 am

Seriously Sarah. Those are adorable kitties. So cute. Made my morning.

8. sionna July 19, 2012 / 9:46 am

Oh they are so sweet!! Now Maggie is REALLY going to want to come visit.

9. Wendy Voelker July 19, 2012 / 3:02 pm

Even I, avowed cat-avoider, must admit that your kitties-to-be are absolutely adorable.

We just recently adopted a new dog (well, 4 months ago), and our adoption process was not nearly as stringent as your seems to be. We sent in an application on a Tuesday, got a call that night, home visit the next day, and we had her on Saturday. Perhaps they were just desperate for adoptive homes at that particular point. But, it’s certainly more work than anyone has to go through to bring a child into the world…

10. Common Loon July 19, 2012 / 3:11 pm

Hey Sarah, just noticed that you and your kittens are color-coordinated in your “family” photo. Now just find a nice Alaska photo or two to coordinate and your Christmas card is done.

11. Heidi July 21, 2012 / 12:57 am

They are SOOOOO CUTE! Congrats on your new furballs. I hope I can meet them before they’re all growed up.