I don’t think I necessarily spend enough time noticing the little things that make me happy, so today’s list prompt from Carole Knits was a nice reminder. For the purposes of this post, I am not taking “everyday” literally, but rather to mean small, fairly common things.
1. Music. Whether it’s my official go-to happy song, or the playlist called “Happy,” or any of the jillion songs I have in iTunes, listening to music almost always makes me happy.
2. Reading. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love escaping into another world through the pages of a book (or, now, the screen of my Kindle).
3. My iPhone. As I noticed on my long vacation, being unplugged works for some people, but being always-connected makes me happy.
4. Coffee. Can’t live without it! Addiction or happiness-inducer, I don’t know… And I don’t care!
5. Homemade lemon-ginger soap. Not homemade by me – I buy it from a woman at Eastern Market – but it’s absolutely delightful.
6. A brightly-colored pedicure. Right now, I’m sporting my favorite, OPI’s Cha-Ching Cherry, but I’m also fond of a lovely red called “I’m Not Really a Waitress,” and the various automotive-ish blues at my local nail salon.
7. On Demand/Netflix/DVR. I love having a trio of options to let me watch things when I want to, not on the television network’s schedule.
9. Fresh sheets on the bed. I make my bed every day, but there’s nothing like the feeling of the sheets when they’re fresh from the washer, not just straightened up.
10. Take a look at the photo caption for the final item on my list.
(It goes almost without saying that the people in my life – friends and family – are the biggest contributors to my everyday happiness. But they’re not things, and therefore not on the list.)
What makes you happy?