Home

Flowers in Denali National Park.
Flowers in Denali National Park.

I am, at last, home from my long, long vacation to Alaska and British Columbia. I made it back to my place early this afternoon, after spending the night at my brother and sister-in-law’s house in Virginia. My brother – who lives about 15 minutes away – picked us up at Dulles at 1:30 in the morning, a time at which there is no way I would expect (or request) a ride all the way to my place.

After I spent about an hour sitting on my couch and staring at the walls, I did something I have never, ever done immediately upon arriving home: I unpacked and started on my laundry. Now, I realize most people do this as a matter of course, but I have always had the terrible habit of letting my suitcase sit for days or even weeks before I emptied it completely. My last load of vacation wash will hit the drying rack before I go to bed (translation: momentarily) and I gotta say – it’s nice having it done. I might need to make this a habit.

Tomorrow: back to work, where I expect I will die of exhaustion at some point in the early afternoon.

6 thoughts on “Home

1. Joanne July 9, 2012 / 11:07 pm

You rock for admitting this about your laundry–I do the same. Glad to know I’m not alone.

2. Eileen July 9, 2012 / 11:25 pm

We returned from Kiawah on July 1st. Suitcase is still 3/4 full. That should shame me a lot more than it does…Ironically it’s all clean cause we did laundry every other day while we were there (lots of wet and sandy gear). I think there must be a gene for “if I leave the luggage to wait, I must still be on vacation.” Welcome home.

3. Common Loon July 10, 2012 / 7:08 am

I always get the laundry started immediately (I also have a bigger motivator than most: childhood elimination dysfunction); however, it sits clean, laid flat, and often unfolded in the basket for weeks. In fact, as I look over there is still some left in a basket from our trip last month. 😦

4. JoAnn July 10, 2012 / 12:45 pm

Be careful, your Mom’s perfectionist gene may have gotten into your luggage! Our laundry has completed the washer/dryer/drying rack cycle. Ironing…not yet! It was an amazing trip, with many Master Card moments, but being home is priceless.

5. Mom July 10, 2012 / 9:00 pm

“perfectionist gene” — ohhh, p l e a s e !! I only managed to get one load half done and 2 others stacked! The suitcases are empty and the rest ‘o the stuff is on the diningroom table. Alas, 6+ hours of driving today did me in … sooo glad to be home. It was a PHENOMINAL trip and I wouldn’t change much except a little more sun might have been good and a bit more sleep! But, then, we would have missed a lot.

Hope you “found” dinner, Sarah. I had a frozen casserole of pasta, ground beef, tomatoes, onions & mushrooms +++ a coconut candy from Rogers in Victoria — a FAB desert! Off to bed soon as my bod doesn’t know what time zone it is in yet.

Bing (and a good portion of the countryside as I drove home from Virginia) reminded me of the “golden hills” of California — the July heat wave has really baked the greenery/scenery.

Night All!

6. Mom July 11, 2012 / 8:20 pm

Update: Laundry done -24 hours — washed, dried, folded, put away, including windbreaker & fleece! (NO IRONING!! Gotta school you on that JoAnn! You are retired now!) Bag & duffle cleaned, sun-aired, & stowed; shoes cleaned, aired, & closeted. “Stuff” still on DR table — working on that gradually. Mail not half opened — UGH!

88 today & HUMID. Oomph compared to Alaska! Did NOT succumb to AC, however 🙂

LOVING my pictures (about 500); can’t wait to see Sarah’s 1300! WOW.