Odds and Ends

My new purse - possibly the most impractical (and definitely the pinkest) thing I have ever bought.
My new purse – possibly the most impractical (and definitely the pinkest) thing I have ever bought.

I had my second follow-up from my Lasik surgery today and am happy to report I am up to 20-20 vision in my right eye and 20-25 in my left. I go back again in two weeks for another follow-up, and they expect my left eye will have probably caught up by then.

Under normal circumstances, I don’t watch a lot of Western Conference hockey, but I’ve been enjoying watching the LA Kings steamroll their way through their opponents this playoff season. What I am not sure I fully realized until last night – when they shut out the New Jersey Devils in a beatdown that was so thorough that “shut out” seems insufficient – was that it didn’t matter who the Kings faced from the Eastern Conference. They are full-on unstoppable right now.

I am ridiculously smitten with the new purse I bought on Sunday when Joanne and I made one of our semi-annual outlet mall runs. We both hate shopping, so this time we rewarded ourselves with a stop at Kate Spade on the way out.

In case you were wondering a few weeks back why I was knitting fingerless gloves in the summer, this Washington Post article explains why – and also explains “pashmina mummy,” a state I know well.

I thought I was going to stay up until the end of this Nats-Mets game, but the Nats have just tied it up in the bottom of the 12th. Unless they walk it off asap, I am gonna have to give up and get to bed. (Go Nats!)

12 thoughts on “Odds and Ends

1. thecrabbyblogger June 5, 2012 / 11:20 pm

OMG I am cracking up on this post!!! I hate shopping too. In fact, I despise it. Except handbag shopping. That I could do all day. LOL Love the bag by the way!!

How was the Lasik? Did it hurt? Was it freaky? I would love to get it done but I’m terrified!

Thanks for sharing!

• Sarah June 5, 2012 / 11:40 pm

I love purses like most girls love shoes, so I am right with you at being able to shop for bags all day. (In truth, we actually went to Kate Spade twice – once to ogle everything, which is when we decided to bribe ourselves, and again at the end to buy our rewards.)

And yeah, the lasik was freaky. (In fact, “intensely freaky” if my immediate reaction is to be believed.) But, it’s also really fast, 10-15 minutes, so you’re not freaking out for long. The results have been so good thus far that it seems totally worth it.

2. sprite June 6, 2012 / 12:27 am

Nats won, but not before they had to tell all the Metro commuters to leave in order to catch the last trains out of Navy Yard station. Luckily, we had our bikes, so we were there until the bitter(ly cold for June) end.

• Sarah June 6, 2012 / 11:22 am

I saw Bryce’s walk-off – I had given it to the end of the inning. Very exciting! (Not for you, I know, being from Mets country.) And I imagine it was terribly cold. I had a sweatshirt on in my apartment, which only had one window open.

3. Mom June 6, 2012 / 6:17 am

LOVE the new purse!! Can just see you building a new wardrobe around it 😉

Another perk: the color makes it MUCH less likely to be snatched!!!

• Sarah June 6, 2012 / 11:24 am

It’s far too tiny to build a wardrobe around – barely holds a wallet, lip balm, and keys. I didn’t like the shape/size of the bigger ones, unfortunately, so this will be a weekend-only bag most likely. (Though I did bring it to work today because it went with my outfit.)

4. Mary Billingsley June 6, 2012 / 7:43 am

That article in the Post totally describes the NTHP building — but guess it’s the norm. Seems so silly for people to be wearing fleece, blankets and snuggies in July. Seems like there is an easy solution….

• Sarah June 6, 2012 / 11:25 am

You mean like, don’t set it so $#&*$^! cold?

I did learn something interesting on Twitter when everyone was talking about that story: apparently it is never cold at women’s organizations. Something about no men in the office = no freezing temps.

5. Mom June 6, 2012 / 8:18 am

At Mary & your building: I worked for years in a newly built (surely non-historic) building with state-of-the-art “zoned” heating and AC and it was ALWAYS hot/cold at the wrong seasons! Even after management locked down the thermostats to keep them out of touch to inexperienced “adjusters” and hormonal women, the temp was still never right 😉

6. Fran June 6, 2012 / 8:46 am

Thrilled to hear your LASIK results. Makes me hate my glasses even more!

7. sionna June 6, 2012 / 9:02 am

Oh.my.God. It’s so….pink. (rubs eyes)

And speaking of eyes, I’m seriously jealous now. I think it’s time for me to start looking into this as well. My dream in life, second to being five feet tall, is to be able to see my clock radio from my bed when I first wake up with no glasses or contacts.

8. maryann June 6, 2012 / 9:43 am

Years ago I was evaluated for Lasik, but was never able to decide to go through with it. I, too, wanted to see the clock when I woke up in the night. So time passes and last fall I had cataract surgery – I see in the distance wonderfully well – better than ever in my life! I wake up and see the clock! But….I can’t see my watch without glasses. There’s no justice! Sarah, glad you’re doing so well.