When Tuesday is like Monday, it stands to reason that Wednesday would get Tuesday’s designated post, right? And so, 10 on Tuesday is happening on Wednesday this week! With Memorial Day just behind us, Carole’s prompt is goals for the summer. Given how poorly I did with anything resembling a resolution at the start of the year, I am a bit nervous about setting goals publicly again, but, well… I guess I’ll give it a go. In no particular order:
1. Empty my Instapaper queue. I have upwards of 250 articles saved at this point and would like to clear it by actually reading many of them, rather than just throwing up my hands and deleting.
2. Make a lot of pesto. My basil is already going gangbusters, as it did last year, but rather than letting it get overgrown and bitter before I harvest it, I’d like to stay on top of it and make enough pesto to get me through the winter.
3. Start swimming again. Like, for real this time. Every time the summer Olympics come around, I am reminded how much I used to love swimming when I was in middle/high school and vow to get back to the pool. My urge to swim started early this year, however, in talking with my sister-on-law about my nephews joining the neighborhood swim team this summer. There is a free indoor pool at Eastern Market, so it’s not as if it’s inconvenient – I just need to stop being a lazy schlub.
4. Have more picnics. Whether it’s lunch in Dupont Circle or Friday night at Yards Park (which is happening this very week, as a matter of fact), I’d like to do more of my eating in the sunshine this summer.
5. Get a kitten. Maybe. I’m still a little on the fence about whether I want a cat again, and decided to wait until after the Alaska trip to make the decision, because I figured leaving a kitten home for three weeks – even with daily visits from my pet-sitting friends – sounded like a recipe for disaster.
6. Keep my garden alive. I have a bad habit of losing enthusiasm for my garden mid-summer and letting it get all dead and gross.
7. Re-declutter my apartment. A couple of years I went on a bit of a decluttering tear, but over time, extraneous things have crept back in. Or maybe they’ve bred in the closets. Either way, it’s time to take a couple of boxes of stuff to Goodwill.
8. Start the postcard project I planned back in January. (Hangs head in shame over the absurd delay.)
9. Go to a Caps summer scrimmage. I had a ton of fun going to a rookie camp scrimmage last summer, so I’m thinking I’d like to make it an offseason tradition.
10. Decide the thing that needs deciding. Apologies for being cryptic, but I’m not ready to put this one out on the Internet yet, but wanted to give it a placeholder.
What’s on your summer to-do list?