Sunday Snapshot: Dessert-to-Be

I sense a crisp or a cobbler (or both?) in my future.
I sense a crisp or a cobbler (or both?) in my future.

6 thoughts on “Sunday Snapshot: Dessert-to-Be

1. Common Loon May 27, 2012 / 8:45 pm

Hey, last night we had cold peaches with dinner, which led to a conversation about how good a cobbler would be. The decision resulted in the EXACT SAME purchases for us this morning. Do you have a recipe? We intend to make homemade vanilla ice cream to go with it. I just need to find a recipe for the peaches and / or blueberries. Oh, and an idiot question since your words have confused us: what is the difference between a crisp and a cobbler?

• Sarah May 28, 2012 / 11:15 pm

A crisp is usually a butter/brown sugar based topping, usually w/ some oats and/or flour, that bakes up crispy, whereas a cobbler is a leavened flour topping more like biscuits or a shortcake. (Also, not an idiot question; it came up at the cookout I was at, too.)

I don’t really have a set recipe; this time, I was in a bit of a hurry so just used the cobbler topping recipe on the Jiffy Baking Mix box, and threw a little cornstarch (not enough) and sugar in with the fruit.

2. Seasonsgirl May 27, 2012 / 10:38 pm

I also use those two fruits (or mostly any fruit) and put them in a tall glass with laters of homemade whip cream in between… layer of one fruit, layer of whip cream, layer of the other fruit, layer of whip cream, repeat till the glass is full and top with a sprig of mint…. I am using strawberries and blueberries tomorrow to celebrate Memorial Day. A cobbler sounds good too though, peach is my favorite cobbler. I have a great recipe for an easy peach cobbler… yummm.

• Sarah May 28, 2012 / 11:16 pm

Ooh. Fruit and whipped cream sounds nice… I do have a lot of blueberries left over. Might have to do that w/ some of them.

• Seasonsgirl May 28, 2012 / 11:20 pm

It was good… I will put a picture of the ones I made up on my blog tomorrow 🙂

3. Mom May 28, 2012 / 9:13 am

That is yummy looking fruit. Peaches here are still pretty much baseball hard and local blueberries are not in yet.

@ Loon. I really think “cobbler” and “crisp” are pretty much synonymous. Most any ripe fruit with a little sugar and flour mixed in (like the strawberry/rhubarb crisp) will do well. It is the topping that makes it and that is a great recipe for that. Of course, ice cream alongside is the ultimate YUMMY!

We made homemade ice cream sandwiches this weekend and that is a FAB treat too!

HAPPY DAY TO ALL and a ***special*** “God Bless” and warmest THANKS to our brave military heroes and their awesome families.