I don’t usually think about the fact that the sites I look to for 10 on Tuesday prompts (Carole Knits and Roots & Rings) are written by folks in other regions of the country until a topic like this comes along. Particularly this year, with things like the cherry blossoms blooming so early, it feels like it’s been spring forever already. But, I still have plenty to get done before my summer starts in earnest – which is when I head off on a three-week vacation (family reunion in Cali, and then a cruise-land Alaskan extravaganza) in late June. My list isn’t all trip-prep, but some of it certainly is.
1. Finally get my LASIK surgery. I’ve got my pre-op appointment scheduled for Monday, so this will be happening soon.
2. Get a pedicure. This is one spring thing I usually do much earlier than this, but it has only recently seemed like sandal weather, even though it’s been pretty warm for a while. Or maybe it’s just that I can’t wear sandals because my feet look awful.
3. See “The Avengers.” This has been on my list ever since I heard that, not only is Robert Downey, Jr. starring in it, but Joss Whedon wrote/directed it. And as of today, I’ve got it on the calendar for a couple of weeks from now. Yay!
4. Get my hair cut & colored. Also already scheduled, but I do need to decide if I am sticking with the dark color, going back to something closer to my natural color (unlikely), or trying blonde again.
5. Do more cooking. I love spring because there are so many great, fresh vegetables at the farmers’ market, but I’ve been lazy about cooking. Need to work on that!
6. Watch some baseball. I’ve got tickets for two or three games before I head off on my trip. It’s not like I can give up sports altogether now that my Caps are out of the playoffs, right?
Which brings me to…
7. Watch some hockey. I am not as sad/bitter/disappointed in the outcome of the Caps playoff run this year (nothing like going in with low expectations; makes every game played seem like a gift) as I have been in the past, so I do plan to keep up with the games. I’m feeling optimistic about the Western Conference.
8. Finish getting my garden planted. I took care of most of my flowers and herbs back in mid-April, but couldn’t find everything I wanted (neither basil nor geraniums seem to be around that early) so I need to get that going asap.
9. Research and buy decent luggage for my trip. Both of the suitcases I currently own are broken, battered, and are in no way suitable for a three-week trip.
10. Start figuring out what to pack (and acquire whatever extra stuff I need). I’ve never been on a cruise before, I have no idea what the weather in Alaska is like in June/July, I am not clear how “rugged” the land tours and such will be, and I am determined to not carry a ton of luggage,* so I am going to have to be very strategic in my packing.
* The godawful luggage experience I – and several others – had on the Egypt trip cured me of ever packing more than I can carry every again. Wondering now if I ever actually blogged about that… it’s kind of a funny story now that it’s two years in the rearview mirror.