I am not the world’s biggest movie enthusiast, but I pretty much always watch the Oscars… And I definitely always have an opinion (alas, not an especially positive one this time around), so I like this week’s 10 on Tuesday prompt – though I had to stop myself at 10!
1. I’m sorry to say it, but I thought Billy Crystal was terrible as host. He used to be funny and charming, this year, I found him cringeworthy.
2. “Hugo” was a better movie than “The Artist.” So was “The Descendants,” even though it made me cry. (I didn’t hate “The Artist,” though, I just think it got too much attention for being black & white and French and silent – and not enough notice was paid to the fact that the story was insubstantial.)
3. I would have been less miffed at “Hugo” not winning Best Picture if it had gotten Best Adapted Screenplay, because it did such a brilliant, gorgeous job of adapting not only the words, but also the art, of Brian Selznick’s The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
4. I loved that Meryl Streep was all “Whatever!” about the “Her again?” haters. And seriously, she’s so good that my thought is “Why not always her?” Also, I thought she looked gorgeous – and thought it was fabulous that she thanked her makeup artist, rather than a plastic surgeon.
5. Robert Downey, Jr. is one of my favorite actors, one I’ve said I would watch read the phone book – something he should have considered rather than doing that fake-documentary bit with Gwyneth Paltrow. It was unwatchable.
6. I hate Cirque du Soleil. Always. And more at the Oscars.
7. I wish Kermit the Frog and Jim Parsons had performed “A Man or a Muppet” live. It’s such a cute song and Jim Parsons is hilarious. (Maybe next year, he can co-host with Tina Fey.)
8. I thought this Washington Post article, “Dear Hollywood, nostalgia is not a business model,” was a great look at what bugged me about the Oscars this year.
9. The Oscars are not as fun when you miss the red carpet show, which I did.
10. Following along on Twitter is way, better – and funnier – than the actual show. I’m a girl who likes some snark, and Twitter never fails to bring it.
So, those are my (fairly negative) thoughts. Have at it in the comments… just how wrong do you think I am?