10 on Tuesday: Favorite Chocolate Treats

My current favorite: milk chocolate with sea salt and almonds.
My current favorite: milk chocolate with sea salt and almonds.

It’s not hard to figure out that today’s 10 on Tuesday prompt, favorite chocolate treats, is inspired by Valentines Day, but (fortunately) it’s a topic that works for the single as well as the coupled. After all, chocolate-love transcends relationships – and the date on the calendar.

My list, in no particular order:

1. Cake. My favorite is my grandma’s chocolate mayonnaise cake, which I will actually get around to posting one of these days.

2. Cupcakes. Some might argue that this is pretty much the same as the one above, but I disagree. And don’t care what the haters (ahem, Wendy) say.

3. Brownies. I’ve said it before, but Baker’s One Bowl brownies are hands down the best – and easiest – scratch brownies on the planet.

4. Chocolate bars. I’m currently obsessed by the ones in the photo, but my go-to favorite is the Chocolove dark chocolate with chilies and cherries.

5. Ice cream. I’ve been in love with Ben & Jerry’s New York Superfudge Chunk since… oh, nearly forever, and while I like other chocolate ice creams, too, it will always be my number-one favorite.

6. Chocolate caramels. Kraft used to make these, but I haven’t seen them in ages. I loved them and would be so happy to find them again. (Note: these are actually chocolate-flavored caramels, not chocolate-covered ones, like Riesen.)

7. Mocha latte. I’m mostly a non-sweet coffee drinker (my gingerbread latte obsession aside) but when I need more pick-me-up than caffeine alone provides, this is my go-to beverage.

8. Chocolate-covered cherries. Or strawberries. Yum and yum.

9. Chocolate chip cookies. Preferably with walnuts. I don’t know why, but that makes them so much better.

10. Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. One of the only exceptions to my no-milk-with-alcohol rule. Oddly enough, we drank this a lot in college, despite it being much more complicated than, say, beer.

What’s on your list? And what did I forget? (I wrote this list on the Metro this morning, so I know I have to have missed something obvious.)

Oh, and Happy Valentines Day! Yay, love!

8 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Favorite Chocolate Treats

1. maryann February 14, 2012 / 7:15 pm

Really enjoyed your list, especially since I’m sitting in front of an open box of Russell Stovers.
    However, the very best chocolates I’ve ever had are the absolute works of art by Christopher Elbow in SanFrancisco. Almost a shame to bite into them. Almost.

2. Jennifer K February 14, 2012 / 7:39 pm

I also make #1 quite a bit! And I love any high quality truffle, my grandmother’s chocolate drop cookies and her chocolate cream pie…chocolate covered: strawberries, bannanas, pretzels, popcorn (don’t judge)…Let’s just say I am a fan. Happy Valentine’s Day!

3. wendalicious February 14, 2012 / 8:17 pm

I’m going to just ignore your “hater” comment and say OMG YOUR GRANDMOTHER HAD A CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE RECIPE, TOO? You definitely must share – my grandmother made a killer chocolate mayonnaise cake, and I never did get the recipe before she died. We used to eat pieces of it in bowls, covered with cold milk. I would never eat it that way today (yuck, milk), but the cake itself was divine. What kind of frosting did your grandmother use? I think my grandma’s frosting was a simple confectioner’s sugar one.

4. Common loon February 14, 2012 / 8:33 pm

Toblerone fondue, with strawberries and poundcake!

5. susan February 14, 2012 / 8:58 pm

Chocolate crinkles 🙂

6. Eileen February 14, 2012 / 10:09 pm

Crinkles. You missed crinkles. But otherwise a good list for a choco-lover 🙂

7. Mom February 14, 2012 / 10:21 pm

Oooohhh, I was just posting “crinkles” too !!!! Just saw them in a gourmet bakery here in Mesa, AZ, about saucer-size. More YUM :). Looked JUST like “ours”, only bigger!! Also, you’ve never lived until you have a milk-choc dipped potato chip (preferably a ridged chip as it holds more choc!!)

Happy V-Day to all chocolate lovers.

P.S. I have Mom’s/Grandma’s choc mayo cake recipe at home. I can do it here in a couple of weeks if necessary. Let me know!

8. Vanessa Chapman February 15, 2012 / 8:21 am

Hi, I just did a ’10 on Tuesday’ (yesterday…obviously) and thought I would see what other 10 on Tuesdays were around, and found yours! Good chocolate list there. I’m British so some of our chocolate choices will be different over here, but some that I would include on my list are: chocolate covered coffee beans (for when I want a brutal chocolate and caffeine hit), Cadbury’s creme eggs (not very sophisticated I know, but I can’t help it, I love ’em!), Butterfingers (ditto about not being very sophisticated but can’t help loving them! I got a taste for them when I did live in the States for a few years, you can buy them over here in a few places, but way overpriced), Green and Black’s Ginger Chocolate, also love really good chocolate mousse, ooh and Madam Oiseau’s white chocolate pralines, and I agree on the Baker’s one bowl brownies from my time in the States. That’s all I can think of right now, but that’s probably enough!