Things I’m Learning from Pinterest

A few of my Pinterest boards.
A few of my Pinterest boards.

A little over two weeks ago, I wrote a post about Pinterest, currently the next big thing in the social media world. Since then, I have spent even more time on the site, creating a page for work. As it turns out, I am learning a lot using Pinterest, including:

• I am apparently the only woman in America not planning a wedding, either for real or on spec.
  • My apartment is lame and has no discernible decorative style.
  • The only thing worse than my apartment is my fashion sense, which is dull to the power of boring.
  • I have insufficiently niche-y interests – for example, elephants, the color yellow, or plush toys. I also don’t care enough about movies or specific actors/actresses.
  • Inspirational quotes drive me bonkers.
  • There will never be enough time for me to cook all of the amazing recipes I have seen. This is probably for the best, as eating all of these delicious-looking things would make me tragically overweight.
  • I could quit my job tomorrow and travel the world for the rest of my life and never, ever run out of amazing sights, places, and people to see.

My reaction to this is somewhat conflicted. On one hand, it’s a little depressing, but on the other, it’s kind of inspiring. I’m not sure looking at pretty pictures will ever make me a fashion maven, but it could get me to finally decorate my apartment like I am actually staying. (Years and years of moving annually taught me not to put in too much effort, but seriously, I’ve lived in this place almost six years now. It’s time.) And I have already found – and shared – some recipes there, so even though I’ll never cook them all, pinning them doesn’t seem like a waste of time.

One thing I’m fairly certain it’s not going to make a dent in: my antipathy for weddings. Still hoping to find a guy who thinks a trip downtown to see the judge seems like the right way to go…

14 thoughts on “Things I’m Learning from Pinterest

1. Joanne January 24, 2012 / 6:34 pm

ok, send me an invite. i’ll play…

• Sarah January 25, 2012 / 9:06 pm

Sent you one this morning. Did you get it?

2. Chris Gladis January 24, 2012 / 7:03 pm

It seems like Pinterest’s greatest strength is making people feel inadequate. Certainly there’s a chance to get a lot of ideas from it, but my perusal brought me to thinking, “Wow, here’s a bunch of people who are a whole lot more creative/interesting/exciting than you are or ever will be.” That may just be my cheerful and sunny disposition [1] kicking in, however.

—-

[1] Disclaimer: Not actually cheerful and/or sunny.

• Joanne January 24, 2012 / 9:05 pm

I love you, Stage Son

• Sarah January 25, 2012 / 9:10 pm

Yeah, I feel a lot of that creativity envy – more than a lot, frankly – but there’s also enough stuff that’s unspeakably lame to balance it out. (See my bullet regarding inspirational quotes.) And I do like stumbling onto ideas that are both creative and totally steal-able.

3. Eileen January 24, 2012 / 7:11 pm

I think one of my favorite things about this blog is seeing how much alike we are after hearing for years how we’re not alike. 🙂

And who plans a wedding on spec?! That seems like inviting trouble, oh and stupid!

• Sarah January 25, 2012 / 9:15 pm

Anyone who thinks we’re not alike has clearly never met us.

4. susan January 24, 2012 / 8:08 pm

One of the teachers said there’s a ton of good teaching ideas on there…true?

• Sarah January 25, 2012 / 9:19 pm

I haven’t looked around for anything school-related, but I could totally believe it. There’s tons of stuff. Let me know if you want an invite to give it a look.

5. Common loon January 24, 2012 / 10:23 pm

Sarah, I’ve lived in this place 9 years…it’s time! The only efforts I’ve put in through the years have been as I’ve moved out, and EVERY time I’ve promised to decorate before leaving. Yeah…

• Sarah January 25, 2012 / 9:20 pm

Maybe we need a decorating pact…

6. Mom January 25, 2012 / 6:20 am

But, you are all so interesting just the way you are!!! Don’t let “cutesy”, “creative” pull you down!!! You all have so much to offer & so much to do……and you are all wonderful, as is !!!!

7. maryann January 25, 2012 / 11:01 am

I strongly agree with Mom! I’m afraid I’d find Pinterest depressing.

8. wendalicious January 25, 2012 / 1:27 pm

I feel the exact same way about Pinterest. I don’t think I *get it* yet. Makes sense to use it for your work, though. Great way to show off history and architecture.