We haven’t had too many days that are too cold to leave the house this year, so it took me a little longer to come up with the list for today’s 10 on Tuesday prompt than I expected. I realized once I was done that it didn’t look appreciably different from my other weekends, but for the absence of errand-running and brunch. Maybe I need to get out more when the weather is nice…
1. Watch television. For example, every single episode of “Downton Abbey.”
2. Read. Preferably covered in a cozy blanket with a cup of tea.
3. Knit. Using cold days to make warm things is very sensible, no?
4. Nap. I love a good nap always, but never more than when it helps me escape miserable weather.
5. Cook. For the same reason as knitting: making warm things (like soups!) improves cold days.
6. Bake. I love to run the oven when it is cold, because when I am done I can leave it open and release that heat into my apartment.
7. Play games. Because I live alone, my games tend to be things like Angry Birds or Words with Friends on my iPhone, but if there are other people around, board games make for a good time.
8. Organize closets/storage. OK, it can’t all be fun and games and laziness when you’re house-bound, right? I get perhaps too much satisfaction from organizing, so I almost always end up fussing with something if I am stuck at home for a while.
9. Do chores (laundry, dishes, etc.). Stuff has to get done at some point, right?
10. Research, plan, or fantasize about a vacation somewhere warm. Mind over matter, right? Take your focus off the cold by putting it on the beach. Or rainforest. Or desert.
Now it’s your turn: How do you pass the time when it’s too cold to go out?