I was struggling to come up with an idea for today’s blog post (I’m realizing that much more planning and scheduling will be required to actually post every day in 2012) but Booking Through Thursday saved the day with a nice little reading-related Q&A.
1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?
In the morning. As is well established, I am a terrible morning person, and a little reading before I get out of bed makes a huge difference. Most days, though, I read the Internet and not a book.
2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
Sometimes, but only on weekends.
3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
Favorite? Too many to decide. Most usual? Frosted mini-wheats with skim milk.
4. How many hours a day would you say you read?
If non-work Internet reading (articles, etc.) counts, probably an hour and a half. If not, probably a half hour, on average. I read much more on weekends than weekdays.
5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
Less. I suspect it’s a either having cable (which I didn’t 10 years ago) or a more tiring job, but I spend more time vegging in front of the tv than with a book these days.
6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
Not really, but if I am deeply into a book, I read it fastfastfast.
7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Hmm… Maybe some sort of ability to control time, so I could do everything I want when I want to do it, while simultaneously never being late for anything.
8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
9. What KIND of book?
These days, my Kindle, so lots and lots of kinds of books. When I still carried paper books, it would be whatever I was reading at that time, which was kind of a pain in the ass when I was reading something enormous like Quicksilver.
10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
Too young to remember, though I do recall getting picture books from the library, so definitely when I was in the pre-reading phase.
11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)
I forgot to scan over my bookshelves this morning before I left home, so I don’t have a definitive answer for this. As a guess, I would say my copy of Gone With the Wind is probably the “oldest” in that it’s the first adult book I remember selecting and buying for myself – in the sixth grade.
12. Do you read in bed?
Yes. It’s my favorite place to read, in fact.
13. Do you write in your books?
I did in my schoolbooks, but not in regular books that I read for fun.
14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?
Read what interests you, but also occasionally read things that don’t necessarily seem like they’re your cup of tea – you might be surprised. (For example, I’m not a huge fan of fantasy books, but loved Game of Thrones.)
15. What question have I NOT asked at BTT that you’d love me to ask? (Actually, leave the answer to this one in the comments on this post, huh? So I can find them when I need inspiration!)
Hmm… I’m too lazy about answering these regularly to know what’s been asked and what hasn’t.