Wayback Wednesday: Ready for Snow

Here in DC, we’ve been having an exceptionally mild winter so far. Sure, there have been a few extremely cold days and an occasional snow flurry, but overall, it hasn’t been very wintry. For the most part I don’t mind this at all, though I probably would prefer a little snow to today’s expected chilly downpour. (Cold rain is seriously the grossest weather. Hate it.)

As the picture below shows, however, it appears I was not always as anti-winter as I am today. Eileen and I are all smiles, tricked out in our cozy gear at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. I expect we’re heading outside to play – our grandparents had a huge backyard, which meant a lot of room for snowman-building. And sledding. And snowball-throwing.

Good times.

I do have one concern with this photo, which is that I am an eyesore in a mess of conflicting patterns while Eileen is matchy-matchy and adorable. She’s the little sister, and as such is supposed to be dressed in a mismatched hand-me-downs, not me! Though it was the 70s, so I suppose it’s possible that I was actually stylin’ in that outfit, but I suspect not.

And speaking of things that were cool in the 70s, that fiber-optic lamp thingamajiggy on the television was my favorite thing on earth for pretty much my entire childhood. It rotated and changed color and was ah-mazing. I wish it was on in this picture so some of its awesomeness was recorded for posterity.

Eileen & me, winter 1977.
Eileen & me, winter 1977.

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

Seriously, people. I’ve been asking you to join in on this for like a year now. Would somebody please do it? It’s totally fun, and the Shoebox app makes it easy, if you’re an iPhone user. C’mon… you know you want to!

18 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Ready for Snow

1. sprite January 11, 2012 / 12:30 pm

It looks like by the end of playing Eileen is going to have very cold, wet wrists, while your long sleeves suggest you will not have snow up your arms.

2. Fran January 11, 2012 / 1:00 pm

i am so glad you have such fond memories of that back yard; wish we’d lived there in our childhood. And we of this generation would prefer you were standing in front of that ghastly thingamajiggy … a cherished item in Grandmas eclectic “decor” 😉

• Eileen January 11, 2012 / 1:15 pm

Auntie Fran. We all loved loved loved that thing. I truly wish it still existed!

3. Shannon January 11, 2012 / 1:27 pm

I have a good way-back pic to share (complete with Dorethy Hamill hairdo and avacado green living room rug)…I’ll track it down and send it in.

Happy?

4. Common loon January 11, 2012 / 1:35 pm

Sarah, sorry but I do not have an iPhone, and my technology does not (yet?) have any photos that would be “wayback.” If I had a scanner, I would oblige.

5. Shannon January 11, 2012 / 2:17 pm

Ack! I can’t read apparently…I don’t have a blog to post mine on, nor do I expect you to post MINE on yours. Fuhgetaboutit!

6. Mom January 11, 2012 / 2:42 pm

I think by 1977, Sarah, you were dressing yourself & selecting your combinations!!

And, Sprite, I’m sure that G&G saw to it that the littlest princess had a change of mittens every few minutes :). Her big sister probably did too!!

And, sorry, girls, I vote with Fran on the “thingamajiggy” — UGLY!

• Sarah January 11, 2012 / 2:47 pm

I would only have been five in the winter of 1977 – I don’t think I was actually picking out my own stuff that young!

And you and Fran are totally wrong about the lamp. It was awesome. So awesome, I might by myself one from Amazon.

• Joanne January 11, 2012 / 10:20 pm

Sophia picks out her own clothes, and there are some real winning combos, let me tell you…

7. maryann January 11, 2012 / 7:09 pm

I’ve thought about posting for some time (as a loving and loyal follower) and this I could not resist! My mother in law loved fun and somewhat tacky things. She had one of these fiberoptic light explosions – it was done in blue, I think – and the kids loved it. Actually, so did I! It went so well with the Lava lamp and the Wave machine 🙂

• Sarah January 12, 2012 / 10:52 am

Hi, Maryann, and welcome! I think those fiberoptic lamps were made for kids – they were colorful and interactive and fun. Glad to hear your kids agreed w/ us on this.

8. susan January 12, 2012 / 7:03 am

I think Lauren asked for one of those at Target this summer….

• Sarah January 12, 2012 / 10:53 am

They sell them at Target? I will have to keep an eye out! I’ve decided that one might be overmuch for home, but it would definitely work on my desk at the office.

9. Mom January 12, 2012 / 7:58 am

@ Joanne — THANKS for the back-up!! That’s how little girls develop their style. ;). Little boys (and some big ones) need help making selections!!

• Sarah January 12, 2012 / 10:12 am

Well, given that I wear solid colors almost exclusively, this must have helped form my personal style – by making me afraid of patterns!

10. Mom January 12, 2012 / 12:41 pm

You did it to yourself!!!

• Sarah January 12, 2012 / 1:24 pm

Not really. I may have put together the combinations, but I didn’t buy the clothes!

11. susan January 12, 2012 / 5:49 pm

Might have been Five Below or Hobby Lobby…but definitely this summer to the shopping center up the road…