Wayback Wednesday: Fall Foliage

Today was about as perfect a fall day as anyone could want – warm but crisp air, blue skies, and peak foliage. Of course, a perfect fall day here in DC makes me wistful for home, because the Southern Tier of New York, with its rolling hills and valleys, really does fall right. I thought, then, I’d make it the focus of today’s Wayback Wednesday post.

Kate, Eileen, Susan, and me... and a lot of pretty trees!
Kate, Eileen, Susan, and me... and a lot of pretty trees!

This photo is from the fall of 1990, when, for some reason I can’t recall, my cousins (who, like me, were both in college at the time) came up to Binghamton. I no longer remember what all we did on that visit, but I know we took in the foliage, because the shoebox-o-photos has several pictures to prove it.

And speaking of my shoebox, I used a new iPhone app by the same name to “scan” today’s photo using my phone’s camera rather than my regular scanner. It’s a cool little application, with it’s own online sharing and storage. I’m not overwhelmed with the quality of the image, but the original is fairly terrible. (We’re standing in totally the wrong spot to be well lit.) I expect the scans will look better both when I use a better picture and when I get my new iPhone 4S (which should be soon!). But even with lower image quality, I think it’s fine for the blog, since online resolution isn’t that high anyway.

Oh, and aren’t our high-waisted 1990s jeans awful? I’m the first to acknowledge things got a little too low-rise for a while, but right now we seem to be in a nice happy medium between obscene and Ed Grimley.

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

8 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Fall Foliage

1. susan November 3, 2011 / 7:13 am

So…do you remember any more about that picture?? Anytime I come across that one I’m surprised because I have absolutely NO memory of it. Not that I have a good memory anyway, but usually there’s something to draw on…

2. Common Loon November 3, 2011 / 8:44 am

I remember the taking of the picture, but that is it. I think I remember that we were admiring the foliage during a drive (to / from where I don’t remember) and finally just pulled over to snap some photos. I also remember driving fast, and I think there are other pictures to confirm that. Sue, was this part of the same weekend trip when I visited you at Bucknell / toured your dorm and we went to lunch before I headed out?

3. Mom November 3, 2011 / 8:55 am

Loon could be right. I had in my mind that it was a gathering before she “headed out”. Looks like Columbus Day weekend maybe? That’s usually about when color is peak around here. Could you all have gone to Bucknell?

• Sarah November 3, 2011 / 10:58 am

Obviously, CL will have a better sense of when she was deployed than I do, but I feel like this can’t be tied to her heading off… I think the Columbus Day (ish) timing is correct, and I know it’s 1990 (from my hair) which means this would be her senior year, not after graduation. And as I recall it, anyway, it was summers and after graduation she was gone, not during the school year.

That said, I cannot fathom what would have brought us all to Binghamton around Columbus Day that year, when we were all in school elsewhere. Well, except for Eileen, who would still have been at good old BHS.

4. Shannon November 3, 2011 / 10:24 am

High waist AND acid wash! Rad.

5. Common Loon November 3, 2011 / 11:08 pm

I do know I was not heading out, but not much else. Sorry!

6. susan November 4, 2011 / 6:57 am

Well…you’re not full of a ton of info, but I feel TONS better about my memory! Thanks! 🙂

7. Tricia Adams November 8, 2011 / 9:41 am

It’s hard to tell, but some of you might have teased bangs too. Which, in my opinion, is the perfect accompaniment to high-waist jeans.