Wayback Wednesday: Trick or Treat, Part 1

Confession time: I don’t like Halloween.

Wait, no. That makes me sound like an old crank.

I love Halloween for kids. I think the costumes are (generally) cute and I’m totally in favor of filling children with candy.

What I don’t love is Halloween for adults. I really don’t get wanting to dress up in costumes – especially the increasingly outrageous sexy-whatever ones. I have no impulse whatsoever to be something other than what I am, so figuring out what to wear for Halloween parties just ends up being stressful, not fun.

Ok, so maybe I am a bit of an old crank.

But I was not always such a curmudgeon about Halloween; like I said, I think it’s great for kids – probably because I have such fond childhood memories. Like this:

Brian & me, 1975 or 1976.
Brian & me, 1975 or 1976.

This was one (possibly the first?) of many times I dressed as an angel for Halloween as a child – maybe picking out costumes stressed me out then, too? I’m not exactly sure when this was, but I’d guess 1975 or 1976, since any later than that and Eileen would have been trick-or-treating with us, I think.

Adult me, by the way, is totally jealous of my brother’s costume. He looks awesome… and even wore a wig so he’d have hockey hair!

Tune in next week for more Halloween cuteness from my past…

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

11 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Trick or Treat, Part 1

1. Eileen October 12, 2011 / 11:11 pm

That is freakin awesome and scary. Bri looks like he belongs in a slasher film. Can’t wait to see what next week brings.

2. sprite October 12, 2011 / 11:53 pm

Halloween is a silly holiday and you have to be silly to enjoy it. (Channel that scene where Kris Kringle is teaching Susan to be a monkey in Miracle on 34th Street here.) Without the silly, Halloween is wearing a uniform, but one that’s not remotely uniform.

I love dressing up for Halloween and have had some pretty amazing costumes, both as a kid (when my mother made them all) and as an adult (the year I was the Boston Tea Party may have been a high point for outside-the-box thinking).

3. Mom October 13, 2011 / 7:50 am

MY wig!!!!! Now that is frightening 🙂

• Sarah October 13, 2011 / 8:40 am

Huh? Why did you have a wig?

4. Mom October 13, 2011 / 8:51 am

Cuz they were “fashion”. You could have short hair and long hair all in one day!

5. Common Loon October 13, 2011 / 8:52 am

You see, I don’t love Halloween for kids. The crazy-excessive amounts of sugar are not the only thing (it is not coincidental that cold & flu season starts Nov. 1). I don’t like the gore, or even just the plain scariness, my young ones get exposed to when they go door-to-door or answer the door. I don’t like that churches have alternative parties that discourage folks from meeting and interacting with their neighbors. I don’t like that my kids will all have class parties at school that get them bonus sugar, take half a day, and require a costume (now their costumes have to survive school and not just the nieghborhood). I don’t like the stress of their costumes. They start planning what they want to be Oct. 1st, and then they change their minds for the whole month. I have one who waits until his costume has been purchased / constructed (our rule is that costumes must be constructed, so I’m talking about the purchase of materials to construct) to start complaining that he didn’t want to be this, he wants to be that. And then the whining about “just one more pieeeecccce!” And after this rant, I believe / hope this will be one thing I look back on down the road, and I completely forget any and all hassles and just remember the good stuff.

6. wendalicious October 13, 2011 / 9:40 am

“Hockey Player” did not immediately come to mind when I saw your brother’s costume. “Michael Myers” did. Yikes.

I am also not a fan of Halloween anymore. I used to like it, I guess, when dressing up was still fun and not an exercise in futility (the sexy nurse/doctor/plumber costumes aren’t made for women who wear sizes larger than 6).

I do admit to enjoying handing candy to the adorable kids that come to our door – now that I live in the suburbs, the kids are nicer and I’m not in fear of getting knifed if I don’t hand the 17 year old non-costumed kid a Snickers bar.

My favorite Halloween was actually the one in college when you and I (and Ian and Chris) took my sister and cousin trick or treating in Albany, then went drinking in Troy. Oh, and that was the same one when you stole Colleen’s costume. I’m sure you remember.

• Sarah October 13, 2011 / 10:51 am

The funny thing is, this photo is from about a half-decade before “Friday the 13th” came out, and that is what goalie masks actually looked like at the time. Nobody would have mistaken him for anything other than a Broome Dusters goalie.

And yes, that’s one of my favorite Halloween memories, too… Though in my defense, I had no idea at all that Colleen was planning to wear that skirt, too!