I took last Friday off, and therefore had an extra-long weekend for the Columbus Day holiday, so coming up with a list for this week’s 10 on Tuesday topic was an easy one. Over the course of the weekend, I:
1. Upgraded my laptop. A few months back, Mac came out with Lion, a new version of their operating system. I hadn’t done the last round of upgrades, so I did two at once this time, and I gotta say, I’m not in love so far. Everything seems slow, and my mouse now only scrolls in one direction. In the greater scheme of things, this is not a big deal, but it’s annoying.
2. Cleaned up my porch. Back in, oh, July, I think, some neighborhood critter got into my hanging basket and broke it. I was on vacation at the time, and ignored it when I got home. And for the next three months. No more, though. All clean now!
3. Picked up my super-adorable mini business cards. Because I wanted to do my computer upgrade, I stopped by the office on Friday afternoon to visit the mail room to pick up my Apple CD, and my mini cards were waiting there, too. I got them free via a Klout perk, and I think they came out really nice. No idea what I’m gonna do with them, but I’m sure I’ll think of something.
4. Went out to dinner with Julia & Michael. Despite the fact that we live three blocks apart, it’s been several weeks since I’ve seen them, so we caught up over beer, chicken wings, and other tasty treats.
5. Donated stuff to a neighborhood yard sale to benefit our community garden. I got rid of a couple of bags of books along with my toaster and absolutely enormous microwave. (I’ve long wanted to be replace it, but it’s hard to justify throwing away a working kitchen appliance, so donating it to a good cause finally gave me a reason to get rid of it.)
6. Had a great food truck lunch. Both TaKorean (Korean barbecue served taco-style) and Curbside Cupcake (which makes chocolate cake that tastes like my grandma’s) were at Eastern Market on Saturday, so I picked up a delicious lunch which I ate while I…
7. Sat in my beautiful Adirondack chair and read. The weather this weekend was absolutely stupendous, so I spent a lot of my free daytime hours out on the porch.
8. Went to a hockey game. Opening night for the Caps 2011-2012 season, to be specific. The Caps won, but not without surrendering a goal in the final moments and sending it to overtime. Of course.
9. Repainted some of the trim in my apartment. Despite having a wide variety of other options available, my cat Smoky scratched the bejeesus out of the door frames. With city inspectors coming this week with “peeling paint” on their watch list, I finally had the impetus I needed to spruce them back up.
10. Had lunch with Joanne. Her baby is arriving by Thursday, so I wanted one last chance to catch up before she’s a little… Overwhelmed for a while.
11. Bought several small appliances. I replaced the previously mentioned giant microwave with the tiniest one I could find, and replaced the toaster with a “countertop oven.” (I guess “toaster oven” is no longer classy enough or something.) And, since my hair dryer decided to die in the middle of a blow-out, I got a new one of those, too.
12. Went to another hockey game. Caps again, a stressful overtime win, again; this time with a shootout. And two games into the season, the Caps are shaving years off my life. Again.
Oops; that’s more than 10. I guess since I had an extra day to work with, a bonus item or two is OK, right?
What did you do with your Columbus Day weekend?