Wayback Wednesday: At the Pumpkin Farm

At the pumpkin farm, c. 1982
At the pumpkin farm, c. 1982

The weather has taken a sudden – and early – turn towards fall here in DC, so I thought this shot of Eileen and I at the pumpkin farm seemed seasonally appropriate for today’s Wayback Wednesday post. I suspect the date might be off a little bit, because I think I look a little older than 11, but given that we’re both wearing Docksiders,* it can’t be too much later, because I know I got my first pair in the 5th grade after the great shoe rebellion.** And though styles seemed to last longer back then, 1982 would already be a year later, and I can’t imagine shoes staying trendy for more than two years. Not to suggest that I ever managed to be trendy, of course. (Some things never change.)

Oh, who am I kidding? This post isn’t about fall. Or shoes. It’s about Eileen’s hair. Check out her perm!

***

* Please note, these are now back in style, being worn (I expect ironically) by hipsters everywhere.  I hope they make the jump from the cooler-than-thou to the general population, because I remember them being pretty darn comfortable.

** Due to congenital leg deformities, I grew up wearing first leg braces, and then orthopedic shoes. In the 5th grade, I decided I would gladly remain slightly pigeon-toed for the rest of my life in exchange for Docksiders and Nikes. I have never regretted this decision.

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

10 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: At the Pumpkin Farm

1. susan September 21, 2011 / 8:02 pm

My thought bubble as I read this post: How can she not have mentioned the hair? How can she possibly NOT be talking about the HAIR????

Lauren: “What was that noise???”

Me (still chuckling): “Sorry! I choked on my laugh. Aunt Sarah finally mentioned the hair!”

Lauren: “What hair?”

Me:”Come and see!!”

🙂

• Sarah September 24, 2011 / 11:07 am

Even though it’s taken me days to reply, this totally made my night when I saw it. 🙂

2. Amy September 21, 2011 / 9:02 pm

Love the hair Eileen!

3. Common Loon September 21, 2011 / 10:31 pm

My thought bubble, which was very much stuck on that picture: “Please please please let that be Eileen and not me, it couldn’t be me since I don’t remember a pumpkin trip with the cousins, oh please focus eyes, oh thank goodness that is in fact Eileen, whew! Now, that’s a cute and sort-of-funny picture. I do hope Eileen is laughing. Oh, I suppose Sarah would check on that before posting it?”

Sarah, my first pair of nonprescription shoes were blue Nikes. I believe my Docksiders came much later…in fact, I remember Susan getting them first.

4. Shannon September 22, 2011 / 12:56 pm

Loving the 80s hair. Priceless!

5. Mom September 22, 2011 / 3:11 pm

ANNIE look!! Every 7-8 year old on the planet wanted to look like THE orphan hit of Broadway !! And Eileen looked pretty darn cute 🙂

6. Common Loon September 22, 2011 / 10:12 pm

Sarah, I just looked at the sign behind Eileen…I think it says 35 cents or 3 for $1? If that’s the deal for pumpkins, my how things have changed (unintended pun)!

• Sarah September 24, 2011 / 11:06 am

What? Pumpkins aren’t still 35 cents where you live? They are here.

(Haha; right. As if!)

7. Joanne September 23, 2011 / 9:59 am

How did I have no idea that you wore leg braces?

Eileen, that hair is classic!

• Sarah September 24, 2011 / 11:05 am

Probably because we’ve never gone hiking together. It usually comes up when my joints start screaming in pain halfway up a big hill.