Wink, wink?

Back when he was about five, my nephew D learned how to wink – I think Grandpa B taught him. Every time I saw him for the next few months after he developed this important life skill, we had a conversation that went something like this:

D: Auntie Sarah, can you wink?

Me: Yes, D, I can. [demonstrate by winking]

D: What about the other eye? Can you wink the other eye?

Me: Yep! [winking the opposite eye]

D: That’s really good. [excited pause] You know what?

Me: What?

D: DADDY CAN’T WINK! He does this… [squeezes both eyes shut]

Me: Really? Does he know?

D: Yes! I told him!

Brian: [rolling his non-winky eyes] Yes, D… You’ve told me a thousand times now. I know.

Several years have passed and now G, little brother to D, has picked up the winking bug. I found this out on Friday, when he wanted to do winking pictures at the Washington Monument. Given that this was an improvement over his earlier photo request (“Take a picture of my butt! Please! Butts are funny!”) I quickly gave in, as Jen laughed, shook her head, and took a few photos.

I didn’t find out until after we were done why she was so amused:

Wink, wink?
Wink, wink?

Yup. Winks just like his dad.

8 thoughts on “Wink, wink?

1. Mom August 15, 2011 / 12:57 pm

Too funny!! G winks like his Grandma H (and his Daddy too)! And, as recently shared & demonstrated, D can wiggle his ears as well (taught by Grandma B). Glad to know Auntie Sarah can wink so all the “talents” aren’t B-made 😉

• Sarah August 15, 2011 / 1:00 pm

What, Ma? You can’t wink either? I had no idea!

D’s ear-wiggling thing is a little freaky, if you ask me…

• Eileen August 15, 2011 / 7:19 pm

Um hello. You used to be able to shake your eye balls. (and for those curious few, I can wink with my left eye only, and I’m triple jointed)

2. Mom August 15, 2011 / 1:09 pm

Well, actually, I sorta wink left-eyed, but the right one almost closes in the process — the opposite of G in the photo!!

3. Marlene August 15, 2011 / 1:49 pm

Very adorable!

I had no idea that there are people who can’t wink. Learn someting new every day.

4. Common Loon August 15, 2011 / 5:09 pm

DH and oldest can wiggle their ears, too. Not a H or B trait. Now, tongue curling and limbs that bend unnaturally…that’s an H thing! G’s hair is looking red. Is that the photo, summer, or just how it is? Super cute photo!!!

Sarah, I truly hope that Monday has been kinder to you than it has been to me!

5. Jennifer Kropelin August 15, 2011 / 7:17 pm

Please tell me if my brain is addled or that I have invented a memory – but isn’t ear-wiggling a McG thing? I seem to remember Uncle D McG (Grampa McG to Sarah, obvs) could do that with his ears, it’s a very vivid memory…or was that someone else?

6. Mom August 17, 2011 / 9:35 pm

Boy, Jennifer K — I have NO recollection of my Dad (Grandpa McG) being able to ear wiggle! GIRLS ?????