Once upon a time, I was told that, when making dinner for his then-girlfriend, my brother included in the spread a bowl of lettuce. She asked what it was, he said, “It’s a salad.” As the story goes, she replied, “No. It’s a bowl of lettuce. Salad has things in it.”
I don’t know if this actually happened, but it makes for a nice intro to this week’s 10 on Tuesday topic – things to put in a salad. For purposes of this post, I’m starting from Brian’s preferred bowl of plain lettuce (though not iceberg, something nice and leafy instead) and adding fixings from there. It’s safe to assume not all of these things would be on the same salad, and that the whole shebang would be topped off with an appropriate salad dressing.
1. Tomatoes – A standard, yes, but with good reason. My preference would be for fancy heirloom tomatoes, but anything from the farmer’s market (not the nasty supermarket ones) would do.
3. Croutons – Preferably of the herb or cheese variety, the just-bread kind are boring.
4. Fruit – Apples, pears, and peaches are tasty in a salad, as are all manner of berries, especially strawberries and blueberries.
5. Cheese – Like with the fruit, there are a lot of delicious options: feta, gorgonzola, goat, Parmesan… The list goes on and on.
6. Nuts – Again, many varieties to choose from, though pecans and pine nuts are my favorites.
7. Spinach – It jazzes up whatever base greens are chosen, and is super-healthy, too.
8. Meat – Grilled chicken is a salad staple, and I never turn down bacon. I also like rare steak on some kinds of salad, usually ones also involving blue cheese.
9. Shrimp – Technically not a meat, so it gets its own spot. (And I’m eating it right now, in fact. I was so inspired by my mention of the guac greens earlier in the post that I went and got it for lunch. Seriously.)
10. Beans – Well, legumes, really. White beans, chick peas, soybeans… all good for adding protein if I’m going meatless, and are still delicious if I’m not.
Now it’s your turn… What did I miss? What do you think I am crazy for having included? Have at it in the comments!