Wayback Wednesday: Snowball Fight

Snowball fight!
Snowball fight! (left to right: me, Eileen, Brian, mystery person, Mom, Dad.)

Despite the fact that it’s a blurry mess, this is one of my all-time favorite family vacation photos, because it is the only one (that I know of, at least) of the family snowball fight we had in the mountains of Oregon during the summer of 1982. I remember this being the most totally fun and random thing that happened on that trip – my first to the West Coast.  Being Northeastern kids, we had plenty of snow experience under our belts, but to see snow in the summertime, and to have a snowball fight in our shorts… well, that was crazy. As is apparent from the photo, it wasn’t even all that much snow, but to 11-year-old me, it was amazing, and we had a blast.

There’s one thing about this photo that I just can’t figure out, though, and that’s who is sitting on the rocks behind my brother. Is it Aunt Fran? (Possible – same/similar shirt as the one my mom is wearing, and they would do the matchy-matchy twin thing occasionally to mess with people.) Or is it Uncle Jim? (Also possible – super skinny, as Jimmy always has been, and a kind of guy-like posture.) Or is it someone else entirely? Any ideas?

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

10 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Snowball Fight

1. Eileen May 25, 2011 / 2:51 pm

I hate to disagree with you but I think that is Mom behind Brian and aunt Fran to the right. The expression is totally Fran.

• Sarah May 25, 2011 / 3:23 pm

How can you even see an expression? All I see is hair and sunglasses – and a shirt I remember Mom having…

• Eileen May 26, 2011 / 1:03 pm

Somehow I can…its a special talent 🙂

2. Mom May 25, 2011 / 4:34 pm

Sorry, Babe. Gotta agree with Eileen. I’d be the one in shorts. Fran never has worn them much and the “locals” would not have thought it shorts weather anyway! The minute I saw the title of this post, I knew which photo you wer going to post. A happy memory, indeed. (P.S. I **love** the “super skinny” part of your comment. The “guy-like posture” not so much. I was poised on lava rocks for heaven’s sake). And, those were our Sisters, Oregon shirts. 

3. Fran May 25, 2011 / 10:23 pm

Very fun time. We all stayed at Will and Chris Bone’s cabin near Sisters, Or, named for twin mountain peaks. And that is Mom behind Brian . Your Dad and I were in the “sensible” long pants and Uncle John took the blurry photo, one of many ops your Mom enjoyed … and that’s another story !!

4. susan May 26, 2011 / 7:02 am

Hey….I just discovered there were comments on here. Sarah- why does the bottom of the post not show if there are comments anymore…or is it just somehow my ancient computer messing things up??
    Love the picture…and wayback Wednesdays 🙂

• Eileen May 26, 2011 / 8:53 am

If there is a photo in the post you need to click on the post to see comments. It’s an odd quirk of the new design. (Btw, I had to ask Sarah too!)

• Sarah May 26, 2011 / 10:25 am

Eileen is correct – it’s the new photo page template. I usually only use it for big pictures. Just click thru on the headline and the comments box will be there. This may be the case for other templates, too – this new layout has a bunch of them, but I have only used the photo one so far.

5. Common Loon May 26, 2011 / 10:01 am

I thought your Dad was the one on the far right of the picture?

Great family photo!!!!!!! Your brother has the “classic” expression of a boy about to launch (regardless of object about to be launched). Timeless!

• Sarah May 26, 2011 / 10:23 am

He is. The person in pants in question is the one in the middle, who I identified in the caption as Mom, but is, in fact, Fran.