Today’s 10 on Tuesday prompt, favorite things to do outside, is easy-peasy – and fairly top-of-mind, given that (until the last couple of days) we’ve been having an unusually lovely spring here in DC.
1. Sit/lie around. Whether it’s on my porch, a park, or the beach, just chillin’ is top of the list.
2. Picnic. It’s like sitting around, only with food, wine, and friends. What’s not to like? (I’m going to also include cookouts/barbecues here, because the list was at 10 before I got to them, and really, it’s pretty much the same thing, just with fire.)
3. Listen to music. I’ve been lucky enough to spend most of my adult life in/near places with good outdoor music venues – SPAC when I lived in Albany, WolfTrap and Merriweather Post Pavilion here in DC. I’ve also spent a lot of happy time at Jazz in the Sculpture Garden and am excited to try the hopefully-less-crowded Yards Park version this summer.
4. Watch baseball. I’m not gonna lie, my favorite part of baseball is sitting outside with a beer and a hotdog on a nice day.
5. Read. Like just sitting, only with more imagination.
6. Knit. Same as reading, only it results in an object rather than in thoughts.
7. Walk. Being car-less, I do a lot of walking, and if I didn’t like it so much, I’m sure I would’ve succumbed to replacing my vehicle long ago.
8. Garden. I really dig making things grow, and it’s much easier to do outdoors than in.
9. Dine al fresco. If there is a city in America more in love with outdoor seating than DC, I’ve never been to it. From the first sign of spring through the last dying gasp of fall, restaurants expand onto their sidewalks and roofs, and I, for one, love it.
10. Take pictures. I carry my little point-and-shoot almost everywhere, and when I don’t my iPhone camera happily takes its place.
Did I miss any of your favorites? Have at it in the comments!