Mom-time, Memories, and More

Taste of 8th sample size of the to-die-for macaroni and cheese from Levi's Port Cafe.

It feels like a long, long time since I’ve written a three beautiful things post – and a quick perusal of the archives tells me it’s been a few months. It’s not surprising, since I spent most of February and March in a thyroid-induced funk and about half of April with the worst cold I’ve had in years. Nothing like feeling crappy to make a girl forget to look for the everyday beauty in life. I’ve been feeling more like myself for the last couple of weeks, however, and actually intended to post a 3BT last Sunday, but between the Caps losing and the whole Osama bin Laden thing, I kinda forgot. Therefore, this post will cover the last two weeks, and as such, will have more than three things – but maybe not so many as six. I haven’t really decided yet.

1. My mom was in town last week helping my brother with the kids while Jen was on a much-deserved vacation, but took a break from her grandmothering duties to spend Saturday hanging out with me. We spent some time at Eastern Market, ate our way through Barracks Row at Taste of 8th (where we agreed that the short ribs and cheese grits from Zest were the winners of the day), and picked up flowers for my porch at Frager’s. It was so fun to get to spend a whole day just hanging out together chatting, eating, and shopping – all the things we do best.

2. I had a phone call this week from a friend who had very good – and long-anticipated – news to share. I’m not sure that it’s blog-public type news yet, though, so I’ll just say I am thrilled and leave it at that.

My touristy shot of the Capitol, taken during Wendy & Bob's visit.
My touristy shot of the Capitol, taken during Wendy & Bob's visit.

3. I had a chance last Thursday and Friday to spend some quality time with BFF Wendy and her husband Bob while they were in town. And the weather cooperated beautifully, so much of that time was spent out in the sunshine, wandering around the monuments – exhausting, but lovely.

(There’s something especially nice about back-to-back days of enjoying both the national and neighborhood sides of DC. It reminds me how much I love my city.)

4. My new (also: first) editorial assistant started at the end of April. He’s doing a great job and it’s mind-blowingly awesome to not be feeling overwhelmed at the office every minute of every day.

5. I can’t imagine a time that watching horse racing won’t make me think of my dad, and today’s Kentucky Derby was no exception. Spending a few minutes remembering Dad’s passion for the races brought a smile to my face.

6. I was able to find my favorite polish at the salon today and my toenails are now “Cha-Ching Cherry” colored, and their prettiness is making me happy. (Wha? Not everything can be profound!)

What’s been beautiful in your life lately?

12 thoughts on “Mom-time, Memories, and More

1. Joanne May 7, 2011 / 9:01 pm

So, you’re telling me that number 2 would explain the complete lack of reaction to the picture I recently received in my email? I was wondering. 😉

2. sprite May 7, 2011 / 9:05 pm

One of my beautiful things for today: I made it to the Belgian embassy before they ran out of waffle tickets. Yum!

3. Marlene May 7, 2011 / 9:12 pm

Sorry, Joanne. I forgot you were on that email group. If I had your phone# I would have called you too, before the I sent the pictures!

• Joanne May 7, 2011 / 9:23 pm

Marlene! No worries, honey! I don’t expect a phone call! 😀 I just couldn’t figure out why everyone was so quiet about it. Hee. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

4. Common Loon May 7, 2011 / 10:57 pm

1. Ran my first 10K in years last Saturday. The weather was awful (I wore a lawn bag over my running gear to stay warm / dry before the start), but my “race” was AWESOME. Two of the highlights: family surprised me by watching at the finish line (given the weather and crowds, this was no small feat), and I ran 30 minutes faster than anticipated.
    2. Yesterday’s finally beautiful weather brought everyone outdoors, and we had a no-kidding impromptu neighborhood party. All ages had fun and laughed, and now there will be a “combat” badminton tournament added to our schedules.
    3. On Tuesday night I pulled my back out and dislocated a rib. The beautiful part is that I think I won’t have to make beds anymore (pulled it making a bed, of all things). Being able to move again is good, too. Being able to fully move again will be outstanding!

And Sarah, although it didn’t make my top 3, it did put a smile on my face to know we have the same favorite polish!

5. Eileen May 8, 2011 / 9:12 am

1. New faucet in kitchen w/water pressure and ability to actually clean stuff

2. New dishwasher too that dishes actually come out clean from. What a novelty!

3. Returned good health (and milk). Mastitis be gone!!

4. Crawling

5. Pulling up

6. Giggling

6. Eileen May 8, 2011 / 11:56 am

PS. I love cha ching cherry too. How cool is that?!

7. Sarah May 8, 2011 / 9:47 pm

@CL & Eileen – Of course we all like it… It’s OPI’s best pink! If you’re looking for a similarly great red, try I’m Not Really a Waitress. It really works with our coloring.

8. Mom May 8, 2011 / 10:05 pm

Ohhh to so many TBTings

Saturday was so special with Sarah — a BONUS of retirement is getting to spend quality time with SPECIAL people. Hanging out & eating our way through Sarah’s “hood” was fantastic. AND, we walked most of it! I’m delighted that my bod can still do it!

AND, in no particular order here — a week in VA with my boys being “substitute mommy” — a special time for sure!! Jen got a well-deserved break & the guys and I made some special memories 🙂 This followed by Derby Day with Brian, an unplanned & unexpected event.

All-in-all, a great couple of weeks….. Life is zipping along. Hugs to all.

9. Mom May 8, 2011 / 10:24 pm

P.S. LOVE the new header, Sarah!

• Eileen May 8, 2011 / 11:54 pm

Me too! Great job 🙂

10. Shannon May 9, 2011 / 4:29 pm

Love what you’ve done with the place.

Sigh…I am now in need of a trip to DC. I need my Sarah and DC food fix.