It feels like a long, long time since I’ve written a three beautiful things post – and a quick perusal of the archives tells me it’s been a few months. It’s not surprising, since I spent most of February and March in a thyroid-induced funk and about half of April with the worst cold I’ve had in years. Nothing like feeling crappy to make a girl forget to look for the everyday beauty in life. I’ve been feeling more like myself for the last couple of weeks, however, and actually intended to post a 3BT last Sunday, but between the Caps losing and the whole Osama bin Laden thing, I kinda forgot. Therefore, this post will cover the last two weeks, and as such, will have more than three things – but maybe not so many as six. I haven’t really decided yet.
1. My mom was in town last week helping my brother with the kids while Jen was on a much-deserved vacation, but took a break from her grandmothering duties to spend Saturday hanging out with me. We spent some time at Eastern Market, ate our way through Barracks Row at Taste of 8th (where we agreed that the short ribs and cheese grits from Zest were the winners of the day), and picked up flowers for my porch at Frager’s. It was so fun to get to spend a whole day just hanging out together chatting, eating, and shopping – all the things we do best.
2. I had a phone call this week from a friend who had very good – and long-anticipated – news to share. I’m not sure that it’s blog-public type news yet, though, so I’ll just say I am thrilled and leave it at that.
3. I had a chance last Thursday and Friday to spend some quality time with BFF Wendy and her husband Bob while they were in town. And the weather cooperated beautifully, so much of that time was spent out in the sunshine, wandering around the monuments – exhausting, but lovely.
(There’s something especially nice about back-to-back days of enjoying both the national and neighborhood sides of DC. It reminds me how much I love my city.)
4. My new (also: first) editorial assistant started at the end of April. He’s doing a great job and it’s mind-blowingly awesome to not be feeling overwhelmed at the office every minute of every day.
5. I can’t imagine a time that watching horse racing won’t make me think of my dad, and today’s Kentucky Derby was no exception. Spending a few minutes remembering Dad’s passion for the races brought a smile to my face.
6. I was able to find my favorite polish at the salon today and my toenails are now “Cha-Ching Cherry” colored, and their prettiness is making me happy. (Wha? Not everything can be profound!)
What’s been beautiful in your life lately?