Wayback Wednesday: Proto-Hipsters, Fishing

Making the rounds on Ye Olde Internet this week is the Tumblr* Dads: The Original Hipsters, which aims to show – through amusing photos – that today’s hipsters are just channeling the fashion sense of menfolk from the late 70s and early 80s. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had pictures of my dad that would absolutely, totally fit the bill. Dad was a skinny dude with giant glasses who rocked ringer t-shirts way, way before 20-something urban white boys made it the thing to do. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the exact photo I was thinking of, but I did come across several other pictures from the same trip – and thus, today’s Wayback Wednesday post came into being.

Dad baits a hook for Eileen while I display my "catch" in the background.
Dad baits a hook for Eileen while I display my "catch" in the background.

As it turns out, other than the “dad” criteria, I would qualify as an Original Hipster, too. I’m wearing cutoffs – what they call “jorts” these days – and tube socks and a too-tight t-shirt (which, OMG, spells out “TEXAS” in giant, glitter-letter glory). If only I had my old bike in this picture, I’d fit right in with DC’s hipster scene.

Brian - man enough to bait his own hook.
Brian - man enough to bait his own hook.

Brian, with his shaggy hair and tube socks (probably from the same 8-pack as mine) makes a pretty good hipster, too.

It's a good thing no one was counting on us for dinner! (Also, possibly the only photo I have that proves Kate was once taller than me.)

So, anyway… all snark about our 21st century hipster-wear aside, these photos also brought to mind some fun times with the family.

This was one of – I think – two family vacations we took in the early 1980s at what was then called the Wood Hotel (now the Woods Inn) in Inlet, New York. It was an old-timey Adirondack resort owned by a friend of my grandfather’s, and we stayed in little cottages next to the main hotel building. I have a ton of memories of stuff we did – in addition to the fishing, we flew through the mountains – and landed on the lake – in a pontoon plane (quite possibly the point of origin of my fear of heights), took some sort of steamboat ride (which appears to be un-Googleable), went to the Enchanted Forest amusement park (pretty sure it wasn’t a water safari then), played a lot of skee ball in the hotel bar (Shirley Temples in hand), and did a lot of swimming. I remember that we had to dress for dinner there – something we kids found really old-school even back then – and that each of the five of us resisted cramming our sticky kid-selves into dresses/ties while on vacation.

There was also some incident with a bat in the cottage, the details of which I am fuzzy on, other than there was more chaos and screaming than any other moment of my life – before or since – and the fact that my father (the Original Hipster himself) hit me in the foot with a broom trying to get it to fly out. Ah, family moments.

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

***

* What’s a Tumblr, you ask? Well, it’s pretty much what would happen if you mated a blog with Twitter, and Flickr was somehow also involved. It’s – content- and image-driven, but very sharable. I have one, but I don’t really know what to do with it. I mostly just share other people’s stuff, because I can.

***

Updated to add: While today’s hipsters use apps like Instagram to give their photos that worn, just-pulled-out-of-the-shoebox-of-memories look, I did just the opposite and took my faded, yellow scans and ran them through the auto-tone filter in PhotoShop to render them shiny and new. Take that, hipsters!

12 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Proto-Hipsters, Fishing

1. Eileen April 27, 2011 / 6:09 pm

1. Nice sox
    2. Dad was probably trying to kill it
    3. Notice Sue had the good sense to stay out of camera range even then? 😉

Thanks. Great memories, mostly hazy for me. I’m so glad I’ve got you and Brian.

2. sprite April 27, 2011 / 7:18 pm

Your dad was trying to kill Sarah’s foot? What did he have against it?!

3. susan April 27, 2011 / 8:25 pm

You know what makes me laugh? Kate and I are wearing jeans. I’m sure my mom was worried about ticks….or something else that was damaging to our tender selves. Beach photos, anyone?? 🙂

4. Mom April 27, 2011 / 9:28 pm

GREAT MEMORY!! I remember this family “vacation”!! Somethings don’t go away. The hotel & cabins were OLD even wayback then and the old innkeeper friend was a stoggy old-country bachelor who insisted on “Sunday-best” dress (including gloves, stockings, & ties from ALL) and meals were served in courses & with formal dinnerware and “kids” were to “be seen but not heard”!! It was a real TRIAL.

The jeans, Susan, had to do with all the possibilities for splinters from those decrepit old docks and the potential for fish hooks in your precious flesh. Tics were an unknown in those days! Also note, no sandals or flip flops for the same reason.

And, the Chief Hipster had all he could do to keep 4 little girls hooks baited. It was a hoot!!!

Love it! Great pics 

5. Eileen April 28, 2011 / 1:22 am

I can’t believe I misspelled socks. It really has been a rough week.

6. susan April 28, 2011 / 7:22 am

@Mom…the dreaded splinter. Shocking really we were allowed bare arms!! 🙂

7. Common Loon April 28, 2011 / 1:12 pm

@ Susan: Let’s just be grateful to have been near water without zinc oxide or lambs wool (for once). All those precautions and I still got strep at the end of the trip!

I remember those pictures well! Our Dad’s worked so hard to try to get me / us to like the bait (even using your brother to try to goad me). And those horrid blue Nikes were the first sneakers Mom let me have – can’t believe how much I loved them (then). I’m sorry I don’t have the resources at present to send you pictures of our kids on their first fishing trip. There are so many similarities it cracks me up!

8. Shannon April 28, 2011 / 1:20 pm

I find it rather funny that you spent time at Inlet and Enchanted Forest as a kid. I’m SURE we were in the Old Forge area at the same time at some point in our childhood lives. And no, there definitely wasn’t a Water Safari at that point in time.

I’ll have to check and see if that hotel is still there the next time I’m up at camp.

9. Eileen April 28, 2011 / 1:41 pm

Is Enchanted Forest where the huge Paul Bunyon statue was? I have this snap shot recollection of such a place and have always wondered where it is (Fourth Lake or Glens Falls)?

10. Shannon April 28, 2011 / 5:16 pm

I can answer that….yes, Eileen. There is a HUGE cheesy Paul Bunyon statue in the front of Enchanted Forest. 🙂

11. Mom April 28, 2011 / 9:39 pm

Yes, and Enchanted Forest was anything but for Dad and I. It had a ski-lift type ride from mountain-to mountain UNECLOSED!!! Dad and I were scared to death!! You kids *loved* it.  Do you ladies remember that??

12. susan April 29, 2011 / 4:46 pm

I don’t remember any of the stuff, really…except my fish was bigger than the ones in that picture! 🙂