Wayback Wednesday: Blowing Out the Candles

Birthdays – specifically my own – have been looming large in my mind this week, in no doubt due to the fact that I turn 40 on Saturday. I had planned to share a snapshot from my first birthday for this week’s Wayback Wednesday post, but in looking in my shoebox of photos, I couldn’t find one. Come to find out (thanks to receiving both my baby book and an album filled with every professional photo ever taken of me – school pix, etc. – as a gift from my mom) that I didn’t have a first birthday party! Apparently my brother was in the hospital with pneumonia, and that took priority. Whatever. How that is a bigger deal than watching my adorable fat little self smear frosting all over my face, I do not understand.

And thus, today’s photo is instead from my second birthday, where I appear to be blowing out the candles rather delicately. No chance of cake-smearing whatsoever by the time I hit two. Lost opportunities….

Of course, the question I now have is, if I didn’t celebrate my first birthday, did it still count? Or am I, in fact, turning 39 this year?

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so we can snoop into your past, too!

6 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Blowing Out the Candles

1. sprite April 6, 2011 / 11:50 pm

Holy shit, Sarah! If I saw that picture anywhere else (rather than here on your blog where the source is clear), I would know it was you. It’s totally a tiny, blonde you!

2. Chris Otto April 7, 2011 / 12:01 am

Take the opportunity! You’re 39 on Saturday! Then you can plan something HUGE for next year (not that the Caps in Florida isn’t really damn cool)!

3. ginab April 7, 2011 / 12:22 am

My birthday is sat. too!

4. susan April 7, 2011 / 6:12 am

Nope…ignore Chris. If I’m 40…you’re forty. 🙂

5. Common Loon April 7, 2011 / 8:37 am

That picture perfectly captures the first anniversary of your first birthday. By celebrating it, you acknowledged the passing of that time, and thus cannot deny that April 9th will be your 40th (or if you really want to play that game, April 9 could be either the 1st anniversary of your 39th birthday, or the 39th anniversary of your 1st…but you’re old enough now to commit to one or the other and stick with it).

6. Mom April 7, 2011 / 8:53 am

I R E A L L Y like Loon’s Logic (now that would be a great name for your own blog, Ms. loon). Sorry, Babe, 40 is 40 !! 1971 no matter how you slice or dice it.

And, I refuse to bite on the “deprived” comment, oh Middle Child 