Four!

Yesterday marked the fourth anniversary of what I initially called “a foolish undertaking” – starting a blog. I celebrated by falling asleep on the couch at 8:00 – as I seem to do most days lately. (My life is craaazy, I can tell you!) I’m honestly kind of surprised that I made it; I’ve had a couple of  periods of blogger boredom so intense that I was pretty sure I wouldn’t recover. But here I still am, armed with the realization that if I make it to next April 1, I should have more than 1,000 posts and 100,000 page views – numbers that are extraordinarily tiny for the Internet as a whole, but seem staggeringly huge to me. And so I blog on…

As is my custom, here are some stats and links for the past year:

Total Views: 88,295

Posts: 917 (782 by me, 135 by Eileen)

Comments: 4,644

Spam Comments Blocked: 9,054

Best Day Ever: November 12, 2010, 474 views

Most Viewed Post – All-Time: E-Cards for the Rest of Us has (finally) deposed Best. Thanksgiving. Appetizer. Ever. as the all-time most popular post. In fact, it slipped to third, behind the post that made the last blogiversary round-up as the year’s most popular – The Most Addictive Books Ever.

Most Viewed Post – Past Year: “They’re There to Play a Different Game” won this handily, with 616 views – thanks entirely to its link from Yahoo’s Puck Daddy blog. (Which, not coincidentally at all, happened to be on November 12, 2010 – my busiest day.)

In addition to the Puck Daddy link, the blog also made the DC Blogs daily round-up three times: Eileen’s post about James’ imminent arrival, Today is THE Day, and two of my Wayback Wednesday posts, My Little Pony and Just Us Chickens.

12 thoughts on “Four!

1. Joanne April 2, 2011 / 11:49 pm

Didn’t the post with the picture of the long line at the men’s bathroom get linked to by someone, too? I thought that was the Puck Daddy post, but its not. Wait, I remember–didn’t it get put in the Post Express or something? Does not that not count because its a dead tree?

I’m really not that obsessed with your blog, Sarah. Although it seems like I am. 😉

• Sarah April 3, 2011 / 12:37 am

Girl, you have a loooong memory. That post was mentioned in the 2009 blogiversary post – so it was from 2008. But yes, you’re correct; it was in DC Blogs and the Express.

• Joanne April 3, 2011 / 10:18 am

And yet I can never remember where I put my keys…

• Shannon April 4, 2011 / 12:22 pm

And I’ll skip the obligatory “The Boys Next Door” reference for Joanne’s comment…

2. Mom April 3, 2011 / 7:03 am

I M P R E S S I V E figures and, for me, oh so interesting! Glad you are persevering. (And, when life is crazy, it is not boring.) 

3. Eileen April 3, 2011 / 8:39 am

135 posts has to be a 4 year/grand total and not a 2010 total right? Otherwise, cool post and happy blogoversary.

• Sarah April 3, 2011 / 10:30 am

Yes, that’s a total. Figuring out the posts per year involves math, and I wasn’t interested in doing any last night. Though based on the fact that I have only ever done total posts and not posts per year, I’ve never wanted to deal with math.

• Eileen April 4, 2011 / 4:16 pm

Sorry you’re not celebrating IL Gov Rod Blogo but rather your blogiversary. 🙂 hugs!!

4. Mom April 3, 2011 / 1:33 pm

Hey, we Heff girls are right on — enuf math to balance our checkbooks/bank accounts is enuf!! Don’t need more. 

5. Common Loon April 3, 2011 / 1:58 pm

I’m just glad you can’t count / have no desire to count who’s clicking to your blog! I’m afraid it might be close between me & Mom….which is OK for her but slightly OCD for me. Thanks for your dedication to this (everything ebbs and flows) & Happy Blogiversary!

6. Common Loon April 3, 2011 / 2:01 pm

Oh…and you got me with the title. I thought you had taken up golf as your new activity. You have not typed much about the skating, of late. Do hope that endeavor was worthwhile?

7. Shannon April 4, 2011 / 12:23 pm