Today’s 10 on Tuesday list prompt arrived yesterday morning, and I had to fight the urge to write it up and post it right away, because it was, of course, Pi Day – the holiday beloved by mathematicians, geeks, and dessert lovers alike. I did, however, manage to resist both the post and a fairly intense desire to, well, stuff my pie hole with the food of the day. (This was made easier by the fact that the DC Pie Truck was not anywhere near my office.)
I will say, though, that this was the easiest of the prompts I’ve ever been sent – even 1o reasons to love bacon took more thinking. I’m not sure I would have suspected that I love pie more than bacon, but if speed at listing favorites is an indicator, apparently I do.
1. Apple – My hands-down favorite, and to be honest, I like it best when I make it myself. A lot of folks try to get fancy with an apple pie, but all I want is really fresh baking apples (preferably Cortlands), cinnamon, and a nice flaky crust – so that’s what I make. No bells & whistles whatsoever.
2. Raspberry – Back when I still lived in the other capital region (New York’s), there was a farm stand on my way home from work one summer where they always had pie, and their raspberry was fantastic. I feel like raspberry pie is fairly uncommon, and it’s such a shame. I’d eat it all the time if it were a menu staple.
3. Shepherd’s – One of my favorite dinner casseroles, and while not strictly a pie, in that it doesn’t have a crust, the word “pie” is in the name, so it counts as far as I am concerned.
4. Cherry – Always reminds me of my dad, since it was his favorite and go-to birthday standard. I had the absolute best slice I’ve ever tasted just a few weeks ago from the aforementioned DC Pie Truck. Instead of the sweet cherries I am used to, it was made with tart cherries, and… magic. I could have eaten a whole pie.
5 & 6. Blueberry & Peach – I couldn’t decide which of these was the most summery, so I decided to put them together. I’d take a slice of either – or both – on a hot, sunny afternoon.
(I feel like now is a good time to point out that – since I have now covered nearly all of the major fruit pies – that I’m also quite fond of the combo varieties as well, like mixed berry and fruits of the forest.)
7. Chicken Pot – And now the more standard meat pie appears. It’s straight-up comfort food, and being a comfy kind of gal, it’s no huge surprise I’m a fan.
8. Applesauce – We made this a lot as kids, and it’s either the easiest pie ever (applesauce + crumble topping) or non-standard pie that’s more of a crisp or cobbler, because there’s no bottom crust. But, well, given that I’ve included it on this list, you can guess where I include it.
9. Grape – I know, totally weird, but some years back my mom found this jarred Concord grape pie filling at a farm stand or something, and it was insanely delicious. We kind of went through a grape pie phase, and then stopped making them. I don’t know if this is because the filling maker went out of business or because we lost the info on where to get it, but dang… I’d love to get my hands on that stuff again.
10. Key Lime – My sole beloved in the sugar pie category, and even it is on the fruity side, but delicious and kinda refreshing.
OK, folks… I’m sure you all have opinions of your own, so tell me – what are your favorite pies?