Though her topic suggestion for today’s 10 on Tuesday – favorite cocktails – was inspired by something else, it looks like Carole’s timing was perfect, since today is apparently National Margarita Day. And though I made my list last night – before I was aware of today’s holiday – look what’s in the number one position! I think that’s a sign that maybe I need to get myself a marg after work today.
And, though I should probably pretend this was a hard list to make, well, it wasn’t. I could’ve probably gone past 10 without a huge lot of additional effort.
1. Margarita – I’m mostly a rocks-and-salt girl, but will occasionally veer into fruity (though mango only, and only from Banana Cafe, where they use fresh mango) or frozen (but then only if also blue).
2. Manhattan – Straight up, with Rye or Canadian whiskey, despite the Southern preference for Bourbon that surrounds me here in DC.
3. Gin & Tonic – It’s just not summer without gin & tonics. Period.
4. Paloma – I don’t know if this is a real drink, or something we made up in Mexico, but it’s tequila and Fresca, and it’s very tasty – especially when consumed on the beach.
5. Mimosa – I am not, generally speaking, a breakfast drinker, but when the occasion calls for it, this is my drink of choice.
6. Mojito – Almost as summery as a gin & tonic. Best consumed on roof decks.
7. Black Russian – I hate cocktails that involve milk, so I picked up Black Russians at the time in my life when everyone I knew was a big fan of White Russians. Same drink, sans milk.
8. Dark & Stormy – Ginger beer (which, interestingly, is very unlike ginger ale, which I hate) + dark rum = yum!
9. Martini (Gin, Dirty) – I rarely drink martinis, but when I do it’s either this or the one below.
10. Appletini – I know… Such a girly drink. I had to have one, right?
So… what are your favorites?