10 on Tuesday: Favorite Cocktails

Mmm... Margarita!
Mmm... Margarita!

Though her topic suggestion for today’s 10 on Tuesday – favorite cocktails – was inspired by something else, it looks like Carole’s timing was perfect, since today is apparently National Margarita Day.  And though I made my list last night – before I was aware of today’s holiday – look what’s in the number one position! I think that’s a sign that maybe I need to get myself a marg after work today.

And, though I should probably pretend this was a hard list to make, well, it wasn’t. I could’ve probably gone past 10 without a huge lot of additional effort.

1. Margarita – I’m mostly a rocks-and-salt girl, but will occasionally veer into fruity (though mango only, and only from Banana Cafe, where they use fresh mango) or frozen (but then only if also blue).

2. Manhattan – Straight up, with Rye or Canadian whiskey, despite the  Southern preference for Bourbon that surrounds me here in DC.

3. Gin & Tonic – It’s just not summer without gin & tonics. Period.

4. Paloma – I don’t know if this is a real drink, or something we made up in Mexico, but it’s tequila and Fresca, and it’s very tasty – especially when consumed on the beach.

5. Mimosa – I am not, generally speaking, a breakfast drinker, but when the occasion calls for it, this is my drink of choice.

6. Mojito – Almost as summery as a gin & tonic. Best consumed on roof decks.

7. Black Russian – I hate cocktails that involve milk, so I picked up Black Russians at the time in my life when everyone I knew was a big fan of White Russians. Same drink, sans milk.

8. Dark & Stormy – Ginger beer (which, interestingly, is very unlike ginger ale, which I hate) + dark rum = yum!

9. Martini (Gin, Dirty) – I rarely drink martinis, but when I do it’s either this or the one below.

10. Appletini – I know… Such a girly drink. I had to have one, right?

So… what are your favorites?

8 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Favorite Cocktails

1. Common Loon February 22, 2011 / 5:39 pm

I’m afraid I could not disagree with you more about #7. You probably don’t like coffee ice cream, either???? Anything ice-cream-like has been rationalized as bone-strengthening, and therefore healthy.

• Sarah February 22, 2011 / 9:23 pm

Oh, no… I love coffee ice cream! It’s just alcohol & milk products that I hate.

2. Eileen February 22, 2011 / 10:01 pm

1. Margarita (rocks n salt)
    2. Madras (vodka, cranberry & oj)
    3. Harpoon (vodka, cranberry, lime & syrup)
    4. Sex on the beach (vodka, peach schnapps, cran & oj)
    5. Lemon Drop
    6. Mimosa
    7. Black cherry martini (made w/vodka & cream de cassias)
    8. White Russian
    9. Sangria
    10. Wallabee darned (peach frufry drink at Outback Steakhouse)

3. Eileen February 22, 2011 / 10:05 pm

Funny thing. You’d think, reading that list, is that I drink a fair amount, which really isn’t the case (and clearly there is a vodka theme) but when I drink, I know what I like.

4. wendalicious February 22, 2011 / 10:09 pm

1. Margarita (this is why we’re friends)
    2. Tanqueray & Tonic
    3. Grey Goose Gimlet
    4. Kir Royale (champagne, creme de cassis)
    5. Shandy (does it count if beer is part of it?)
    6. Tiramisu Martini
    7. Cape Codder
    8. Amaretto Sour
    9. Frangelico & Diet Coke
    10. Bloody Mary, extra hot

5. Chris February 23, 2011 / 12:11 am

1) Manhattan perfect (bourbon, sweet and dry vermouth)
    2) Dirty Martini

These two account for ~90% of my cocktail drinking

3) Mint julep
    4) Orange marmalade (bourbon, triple sec, honey)
    5) Orange blossom martini (gin, triple sec, sweet and dry vermouth)
    6) G&T
    7) Old fashioned
    8) Black cherry martini
    9) Harpoon
    10) Whiskey sour (very hard to find a good one)

6. Mary February 23, 2011 / 9:44 am

Manhattan? Yikes! That was my parents drink. When we were kids my parents would make pitchers of Manhattans for parties. We all have memories of “learning to count” as my dad poured jiggers of the Canadian whiskey, etc. into the pitcher.

The drink is too harsh for me!

7. Mom February 23, 2011 / 2:36 pm

1). Tanguerey or Bombay with a little water
    2). Manhattan
    3). Mimosa
    4). Bloody Mary
    5). Cream de Menthe with tonic (very light & refreshing)
    6). Chris’ Orange Blossoms
    7). Margarita (no salt)
    8). California Cream Sherry
    9). Vodka & cranberry
    10). Cold beer on a hot day!!