Wayback Wednesday: Daddy’s Girl

Dad and me - long, long ago.
Dad and me - long, long ago.

My dad’s birthday would have been this Friday, so I opened up the wayback machine – that is, my big box of photos – and pulled out the very first one. I don’t think this is actually our first picture together (no doubt there are a few of those happy-family-in-the-hospital shots somewhere) but it is definitely earliest one I have. And not just of us. Of me – I don’t even have my official just-born mug shot.

Obviously, I have no memories of this photo, so I can’t share the story behind it, other than it’s clearly nap time, for both Dad and me. But looking at this picture – and so many others of the two of us – reminds me that, until just about four years ago, there was never a moment in my life when I wasn’t a daddy’s girl. And I’m not sure I’ll ever be used to the fact that I’m not anymore.

Anyway, enough with the thinking thoughts that are gonna make me cry. Take a look at that sofa! Could it be any more quintessentially 70s?

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so I can snoop into your past, too! My friend Chris has already done his today – go take a look.

10 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Daddy’s Girl

1. Eileen February 2, 2011 / 11:31 pm

You are still your Daddy’s girl. And although the sofa is hideous, the picture is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Birthday Daddy (a couple of days early).

2. sprite February 2, 2011 / 11:56 pm

Awww! You tuckered him out!

3. Mom February 3, 2011 / 8:04 am

Nice “memory” indeed! I went looking this morning and found your baby book and, yes, your very first official “mug shot” is in there, Daddy’s Girl — You had him wrapped around your little fingers from the get-go! (You only had to relinquish one hand of little fingers for your co-blogger when she came along). Next time you are home, lets plan a picture hunt instead of sitting on my computer the whole time 🙂 and you can add to your collection for WBW.

4. Mom February 3, 2011 / 8:06 am

BTW — I *liked* my sofa!!! It W A S very stylish “back then”.

5. Common Loon February 3, 2011 / 12:57 pm

I remember that sofa, and all sorts of photo ops it was involved in. I’m bummed about not getting my “annual check-in” tomorrow, and as Mom will be traveling, too, I guess this blog will just have to do! Funny, although I know your Dad must’ve worn any number of long-sleeved “office” shirts, I hardly remember him in any of them. I remember more T-shirts (nice weather) and sweaters (when it was cold). Oh, and Sarah, nice to see a baby photo of you wearing clothes. 🙂

6. Mom February 3, 2011 / 1:31 pm

@ CL — In those days, that clearly was an at-home outfit for HJ. His office attire was white cotton (ironed by Mary!) with button-down collar, only an occasional light blue shirt thrown in –NEVER stripes :). He was his father’s son — Mr. Conservative!! Nice to have such fond memories on the “eve” of his 72nd year. I also remember his first PINK shirt – a gift from Daddy’s little girls, which he wore. That “wrapped around the little fingers” thing referred to above.

7. susan February 3, 2011 / 4:34 pm

I remember one particular t-shirt worn at Dune House #5….the one with the frog?? Pale yellow? Ring a bell for anyone else? That would be a WBW option! I know it WAS in one of our albums…displayed proudly by HJ…

8. Common Loon February 3, 2011 / 4:41 pm

@ Susan: That’s one of them! It would be next to impossible for us to find one of our vacation photos without that shirt worn at least once (as our oldest would say, “he’s just giving Nana the grief”).

Oh, and Sarah, while I’m sure you were clothed in the majority of your baby photos, it seems that only the post-bath ones and hat / diaper combos are the ones that our Mom held onto / passed down. No fear, I would not ever submit them to you or Eileen as a WBW submission / link / etc. !

9. Mom February 3, 2011 / 8:16 pm

@S&K. I am rolling out of my chair laughing remembering the yellow frog ISHICJS t-shirt and Jim’s proud expression!!! And, Jim wore it purposely to jerk your Mom’s chain again & again & again. They did that so well. What a great memory. It was acquired at a boardwalk shop in OC, MD. Please somehow share a photo. The shirt may still be in a drawer upstairs; I’ll have to check on that 😉