Wayback Wednesday: Bad Hair in Our Nation’s Capital

Visiting the Capitol when I was 12.
Visiting the Capitol when I was 12.

This week’s Wayback Wednesday post comes from 1983, when I made my very first visit to what is now my home city. I don’t remember a whole lot from the trip other than eating at the Dubliner with my dad’s cousins, going to the M*A*S*H exhibit at the Smithsonian American History Museum, and seeing someone get yelled at during the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Oh, and taking the Tourmobile – until this summer, my only experience ever with tourist transit in DC.

(Part of the reason I don’t remember a lot of this trip, I think, is that the drive home overshadowed it quite significantly. Eileen shared the story way back in 2007, when I still had a nom-de-blog.)

This picture is well-known among my family, primarily as the only remaining piece of evidence that my mother once had and afro – or at least as close as any Irish/German American can get. But really, that’s only one of the spectacularly bad hair styles in this photo. My sister has an Annie perm. And my hair? Well, don’t get me started. If nothing else, it proves my assertion that my hair has always been a hot mess. (Tragically, it’s better than my outfit, which I could consider an homage to “Miami Vice” if this photo didn’t actually pre-date the show. But it does.)

Really, it’s kind of a wonder that DC actually let me come back here to live, isn’t it?

***

Do you have photos from your past that you’re willing to share – and a blog to post them on? Play along with Wayback Wednesday by linking back to this post or sharing in the comments so I can snoop into your past, too!

7 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Bad Hair in Our Nation’s Capital

1. Mom January 12, 2011 / 3:31 pm

Noooooooooooooo!!!!! If ANYONE wonders why I get it trimmed every 5 weeks, this is evidence! At least you know where your ample head of hair comes from…

2. Common Loon January 12, 2011 / 5:33 pm

Love it!!! Your Dad, however, looks as good as ever in this. Seems like there weren’t as many cars and tours in 1983 as we experienced in 2010.

3. Mom January 12, 2011 / 6:30 pm

And notice how close-up we were; no concrete barriers; no scanners; we had an unrestricted behind-the-scenes tour with Jim’s cousin. Simpler times, for sure.

4. susan January 12, 2011 / 9:36 pm

@Mom…gotta admit I didn’t even notice the building behind you…just was looking at the hair in the foreground! 🙂

5. Fran January 12, 2011 / 9:41 pm

Ozzie & Harriet have nothing on ya’ll. Mom, Dave thinks there is some critter sitting atop your head. Actually, I think he’s just jealous of all that hair in one family 🙂 I am afraid of what photo comes next!

6. Mom January 12, 2011 / 9:43 pm

@ Susan: TWIT!!! Lots ‘o hair except for Jim’s lifelong “Princeton”. 😉

7. Chris Otto January 12, 2011 / 11:29 pm

Love the Wayback Wednesdays, Sarah. As a survivor of the 80s, I can commiserate with the hair, although I pretty much had my dad’s haircut until I was married, so I didn’t have 80’s hair…I had 50’s hair.

Managed to get a short blog post up for my own Wayback Wednesday.

Enjoy, and thanks for starting this!