Good Sports, Sparkles, and Treats

It’s time once again to look back at three beautiful things from the past week. And given that I’ve spent the last three hours glued to CNN watching the horrible news from Arizona, I really, really need to focus on the good.

My awesome family, rocking the red.
My awesome family, rocking the red.

1. One of my favorite moments of my Winter Classic experience took place before we ever left for Pennsylvania. Everyone in my family – mom, uncle, siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews – all donned a piece of Caps gear for our annual self-timer photo. Everyone was so enthusiastic about sharing our fun, which just made me so happy.

2. One of the newest additions to the office is a disco ball, purchased as part of our holiday decorating scheme. It hasn’t been turned on since the competition ended, but we all discovered last week that for about 10 minutes each afternoon when the light is just right, it covers the ceiling and walls with charming sparkles.

3. By a stroke of (very fattening) luck, two food trucks – one a favorite, and the other one I’d been wanting to try – made their way to my neighborhood at lunchtime today, so instead of leftovers, I had a lobster roll and a slice of Baltimore Bomb pie.

7 thoughts on “Good Sports, Sparkles, and Treats

1. Common Loon January 8, 2011 / 6:15 pm

Sarah, get away from the news. It’s not good, and it won’t get better. Distract yourself with something else…like hockey 🙂

1. One of the kids said “Hey Mom, you’re fun!” just because we got to hang out together. After I made chocolate chip cookies, I became an outright heroine.
    2. For the very first time EVER, all of the kids woke up on Thursday morning with clean, dry clothes. It was nice to for once participate in the “reuse and recycle” thing!!!
    3. After the holiday break, I was fearful of getting back into the workout routine. This week was not without pain, but it was the good, sore muscle pain as opposed to the I’m-broke-again pain. Got a visit from some old friends: endorphins. All but the youngest have signed up for a push-up contest (the goal is 2011 / individual before January 31st…so far Sarah’s counterpart is in the lead with 338). Sick thing is, the kids are really excited about it.

2. Eileen January 8, 2011 / 6:31 pm

@CL. They’re EACH trying to do 2011 push ups in 31 days???

3. Common Loon January 8, 2011 / 7:09 pm

@ Eileen: Yep. And they did not start until the 4th, so they only have 27 days. Husband didn’t start until the 6th. Not being critical of form, so some are good USMC pushups, others certainly are not! Tae Kwon Do proposed the plan, with no pressure to commit, and the kids loved it (I’m sore and not really feeling the love, but I do feel pressure from the family to continue).

4. Mom January 8, 2011 / 7:26 pm

@ CL — ***NO*** pressure from here!! Push Ups — e x c u s e m e !!! Granny doesn’t even consider that. Good Luck to all participants — you & Dad just remember that YOU are parents. 🙂

5. Fran January 8, 2011 / 7:32 pm

The family photo is GREAT … especially like Uncle Dick’s hat 🙂

CL: I admire you all!

P.S. The tragedy in Tucson is beyond sad … and too often repeated. S A D.

6. Eileen January 8, 2011 / 8:27 pm

Btw, my three beautiful things for the past week

1. Absolutely loved our Christmas week with the family. Capping it off with the family reunion brunch before sending Sarah & Loon to the Classic was perfect and I LOVE that photo.

2. My mother-in-law Debbie really came to the rescue on Wednesday when she drove an hour to our house to drive a stomach flu/food poisoned? Chris to the doctor. He’d been quarantined to the 2nd floor in hopes of not infecting the rest of us.

3. We finished the week much healthier than we started. I’m mostly over my head cold, Chris has finally kicked the bug, and James is on the up side of the head cold that Mama gave him. To health! 🙂

7. Shannon January 9, 2011 / 7:23 pm

Happy things are sorely in need for sure…as a mother of a 9yo girl, hearing that a 9yo girl was also killed in that tragedy hits a chord inside. 😦

So onto happy things:

1. I made it through an absolultey excruciating week of extracurricular activities and school projects. I’m ready to pass out but proud that we made it through!

2. I watched my daughter take to skiing like she was born to do it. So cool! She loved it! Yaaaay!!!! I also skied for the first time in…um…maybe 15 years? Was very happy to find out that was it just like riding a bike. Exhilarating! We drove through a bit of a snow storm and back to do it, but it was worth it. Thank GOD for our 4-wheel-drive pick up truck! Can’t wait for next Friday when we can do it all over again (minus the snow storm please)

3. I played my violin with our community orchestra in my first concert since high school. I had not seriously picked up my violin in years and it felt good to do so. Granted, the rehearsals added to the chaos of the week, but it was well worth it. I wished that my Grandfather could have been there to see it but I felt him there in spirit. 🙂 A very beautiful thing indeed.