Welcome to Wayback Wednesday!

In celebration of the new year I thought I’d inaugurate a new weekly blog series, where I’ll dip into my photo archives – occasionally even breaking out the scanner for the pre-digital era – to share a photo from some time in my past. I’m calling it “Wayback Wednesdays” in honor of the online Wayback Machine, where the archives of the Internet live. (Go take a look. It’s fun. I’ll wait.)

Playing dress-up at Grandma & Grandpa's, circa 1975.

Today’s entry is from 1975 (when I would have been three or four, depending on when exactly it was taken) and features me in adorable man-drag, courtesy of my grandpa’s closet. Note the Don Draper-esque hat – a reminder that the era of Mad Men is perhaps not so far from my own timeline as I might want to think.

This is one of my favorite pictures from my childhood, though I have no actual recollection of it having been taken. I played a lot of dress up at my grandparents’ house, so it’s not as if this was a stand-out moment. I just like it because it is, for me, so evocative of how I spent my time with Grandma & Grandpa when I was little. And also because it’s cute, of course.

I am rather sad that the original clearly had something spilled on it at some point, causing the giant splotch on the photo. If my PhotoShop skills were better, I could probably clean it up, but as things stand, I’d just make it worse.

***

As I was writing this, I realized that Wayback Wednesday will be way more fun if others play along… So if you have a blog of your own and want to join in, please do! Just either link back to this post or share in the comments so I can snoop into your past, too.

12 thoughts on “Welcome to Wayback Wednesday!

1. Mom January 5, 2011 / 2:58 pm

Great pic — one of my favorites too! I’ve got a picture of Grandpa WEARING that hat :). His little girls could do *anything*, including bending the brim of his hat. Can’t wait to see more of this segment. Love it!

2. Common Loon January 5, 2011 / 5:44 pm

Cute photo! Email me your photo, and I can clean it up if you would like. It won’t be professional, but it would be a less splotchy e-version.

3. Chris January 5, 2011 / 6:08 pm

Awesome idea! I’ll play along, will start next week.

4. Eileen January 5, 2011 / 6:29 pm

Hi. I share a blog with this really cool chick, but I love the idea of joining in. Any suggestions for how I can join in the fun? Excellent weekly!!

• Sarah January 6, 2011 / 5:38 pm

Hmm… I’m sure we can figure out some way to make this work. Let’s chat.

5. Common Loon January 5, 2011 / 10:27 pm

Suggestion for Eileen: you post Sarah’s wayback photo, and have her post yours (you can give your rebuttals in the comments?). And since my Mom told me that I was such an ugly baby I broke the hospital camera / they burned the originals, I don’t think I’ll be playing along. It didn’t get any better for a couple of decades…Sue is the photogenic / cute kid (and there is newspaper proof of this).

• Sarah January 6, 2011 / 5:39 pm

@Eileen – This, however, is not the way we’ll work it out. Thanks for the suggestion, though, cuz… 😉

6. Eileen January 5, 2011 / 11:26 pm

@Loon. Your mom actually said that? Sounds like her but thats so uncool, plus not true!!

7. Mom January 6, 2011 / 4:42 am

Oh I’m sure there are some darling photos in S & E & B’s albums of Loon & Susan too. You were an adorable bunch. We did not then — and do not now — make ugly babies!!!

8. Mom January 6, 2011 / 5:29 pm

@ Rudi — neat post!! A great narrative of an awesome summer adventure never to be forgotten. I’m sure your Dad enjoyed it as much as you did, if not more!! Glad you all are in remembering mode. 🙂

9. Common Loon January 7, 2011 / 11:17 am

@ Eileen: Yep, she did say that. There were also comments comparing my size to the previous evenings dinner, and more than a couple of questions about my boyhood. Fortunately, the kids look like their Dad.