Today’s 10 on Tuesday topic is a fun one – things I wouldn’t want to live without. I took this to mean things that are not essential to maintaining life, but to enhancing it. (Note: this topic was sent with a specific caveat: “Please note I do not consider people to be things.” So, if you are family or friends, know that you’re not being slighted.)
1. Coffee. This is no surprise to anyone who knows me. I need it like a car needs gasoline. So maybe it is an essential?
2. My iPhone. Again, not a shocker. I feel like I’ve left a critical part of my brain behind when I don’t have it.
3. Glasses/Contacts. What can I say? I like to see. Though given that getting LASIK is on my to-do list for 2011, maybe this will come off the list.
4. The Internet. It keeps me connected to far-away family and friends, it keeps me amused, and – not insignificantly – it keeps me employed.
5. DVR. I’ve only had one since May, and I am amazed at how quickly it’s become an essential piece of technology in my home. Television without commercials? Replaying when I miss something? Choosing shows to record from my phone? Win. Win. Win.
6. Fast-food salad joints. Were it not for Chopt and Sweetgreen, I’d never eat anything healthy for lunch. Their prices are kind of ridiculous, but I’m willing to pay it for things that are delicious and good for me.
7. My red shoes. I love these as much now as I did the day they arrived. Absurdly expensive, to be sure, but they’ve repaid it in happiness.
8. Laundry at home. I spent part of yesterday at the laundromat, since my new-to-me washer/dryer unit arrived with a non-functioning pump, which reminded me how much I prefer being able to do my laundry in my own apartment.
9. Cupcake Bakeries. In a stark contrast to #6 (and to the never-ending chagrin of my friend Wendy) I love cupcake joints. Yes, I could make a whole batch of cupcakes for what I pay for one, but then I’d have a whole batch of cupcakes, which I just don’t need.
10. Hockey. I’ve gone from casual fan to serious addict. I’m even thinking about adding the NHL network to my cable package. I’ll send the invites for the intervention soon.
What about you? What non-essentials make your life better?