Today’s 10 on Tuesday topic is one that’s near and dear to my heart – so near, in fact, that I could swear I’ve written just such a list before. I poked through my archives, though, and I don’t see it, so maybe I’m wrong.
1. Cooler weather. Especially after the blistering-hot summer we’ve had this year, the drop in temperature is particularly welcome… though I’d be lying if I said the 40 degree change in the past week wasn’t a bit of a stunner.
2. Sweaters, jeans, and other warm clothes. The only summer clothes I really miss are sandals; otherwise, I much prefer the layers and coverage of cold-weather gear.
3. Colorful leaves. So pretty, and I love the crunching sound on the sidewalk when they fall.
4. Apples. My love of cooking/baking with apples is no secret here on the blog. Yum, yum, yum.
5. Cider donuts. The very best part of apple season, and the one I am least likely to experience here in the Mid-Atlantic. So sad.
6. Baking. There’s something about cranking up the oven on a cool weekend afternoon and filling the house with the smell of cookies, brownies, pies – anything, really – that is just absolutely delightful.
7. Soups, stews, and chili. It’s occurred to me recently that I cook almost nothing during the summer. I think this is because what I like to make is big, steaming pots of cold-weather food. I’m sure it has something to do with my Irish/German roots, where boiled meat is key to much of the cuisine.
8. Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday of the year – food! family! and, uh, football! – is right around the corner.
9. Hockey! Baseball is nice to get me through the summer, but I’m a hockey girl at heart, so I’ve really been looking forward to watching my Caps get back on the ice.
10. New television shows, at last. I like to pretend I don’t watch that much tv, but it’s a lie. I do, and I am always happy to leave reruns behind come fall. And this year, with the addition of a DVR to my life, I may never have to watch a rerun again, as I am already having trouble keeping up.
Now it’s your turn… What do you love about this time of year?