Uncle!

It’s not even 2:00 in the afternoon, and I’ve officially had enough Monday to last me the rest of the day. I’m not a fan to begin with, but really, this is just excessive:

• I was dead asleep – literally in the middle of a dream – when my alarm went off. This was an extraordinarily rare occurrence for me, since I generally wake up before my alarm. When it happens, I find it profoundly confusing, and it takes me forever to really wake up. Today’s result: I didn’t get out of bed until 8:20, making a timely arrival at the office impossible.
  • I discovered when combing my hair I had gotten polyurethane in it yesterday while working on sealing my new Adirondack chair. I ended up having to cut it out, because it wouldn’t come out any other way. This may be the first moment ever I’ve been grateful for my crazy hair, since a couple of missing chunks aren’t noticeable.
  • It was pouring this morning, but I had to slog to the Metro sans-boots. Why? Because I left them at my office on Friday, when the afternoon proved significantly drier than the morning and wearing my cute red shoes to happy hour took priority over getting my galoshes home. Really, I should know better than to do that. It’s like guaranteeing a morning rainstorm.
  • I left my good umbrella in Jen’s car (which I am borrowing) last night, so, in addition to being bootless, I also started out without an umbrella.
  • My coffee sloshed all over the place on the way to work. I’m pretty sure I’d have burned my hand if it weren’t so chilly.
  • When I went to get a glass of water, I dropped the full cup, getting my pants (and the floor) soaked.

Which brings me to now. I’m admitting defeat, crying “uncle!” Monday, you win. Now go away.

6 thoughts on “Uncle!

1. Common Loon October 4, 2010 / 2:26 pm

Sarah, I’m sorry your Monday sucks! You are more than welcome to come here. It’s dry and beautiful.

Oldest does not have school today, so in a freaky twist I sent the younger ones off to school and took the oldest….to the rink. No equipment, just skates. I must say, that an hour and a half of skating with my son, who taught me new skills (caveat: I’m a horrible skater, so there’s a lot of room for improvement) was the best way to spend a Monday! He’s quite the coach, complete with, “Well, Mom, anyone can do it slowly but what good is that? Hockey is a fast game so you have to try it while going faster. Otherwise you’ll get taken out. Now just give it a try because I think you can do it if you just practice.” The only bad part was the realization that he is fearless, and that I will never – NEVER – be able to catch him in our games of tag unless he falls.

2. susan October 4, 2010 / 5:47 pm

Remember the lady who sued McD’s over too hot coffee???? Could that work for you? Though I can’t remember if it worked for her, really…
    I got to work at 730 (a little late for me) to find out I forgot to wear the t-shirt (anti-bullying) that the staff has. Proceeded through the day with 25 3rd graders (need I explain????), brought home 8 middle school girls in the 7-passenger van, had Bible study, fed them all (plus 2 extras who showed up) and they all just left for home/practice. Now I’m going to tutor alittle girl who is recovering at home from surgery. For two hours. Then I’m going to come home and grade persoanl; narratives (!) written by those same 25 third graders. Really. And because I’m online whining (just a little) I’ll probably be late to tutor.

3. Marlene October 4, 2010 / 5:58 pm

I got to help unload 55% of a tractor trailer of pumpkins at work today, in the rain. You really don’t realize just how big those things are until you have to unload one…pumpkin by pumpkin. I’m not sure I’ll be able to move tomorrow.

I did learn that tractor trailers (some at least) have beautiful wood floors inside. Oh, and the truck drive told me I am a “very beautiful woman.” I’m not sure if he really meant it, or was just comparing me to all the old ladies that were helping!

4. Mom October 4, 2010 / 6:13 pm

What’s that song, “A Rainy Day Monday Always Gets Me Down” — John Denver, I think!!! Three out of four, poor girls! That’s gotta mean the rest of the week gets better — YES!!!! I, on the other hand, had a much better day that I’d ever imagined after last Friday’s flood, even tho it is raining – again. My new furnace got installed this morning, so I am no longer chilled to the bone (47 outside this morning; 57 inside — burrrr)! And, the insurance agent came by, did not quibble or negotiate, looked around & paid my claim in full before he walked out the door. (That was a total surprise). Phew!!!! I did not like starting my retirement with these huge unexpected bills 🙂

5. Common Loon October 4, 2010 / 6:44 pm

Yeah @ Mom!
    @ Susan: I dislike reading the PN’s that get brought home. I do not envy you 25 of them!
    @ Marlene: Our vine yielded 4 huge pumpkins this year, and I struggled to get them into the house. I do not envy you that job, especially in the rain. Motrin is good.

The super bright spot for the rest of you is that your week can ONLY get better!!! And as Mom is about to travel, her week IS ONLY going to get better!!! Today was it for me.

For the rest of this week, I have meetings scheduled every 1.5 – 2 hours from 11 – 9 pm Tuesday through Friday, which include an emergency extraction of teeth for the middle child. So… the rest of you will be able to party and I will be run over, run down, and checking into the asylum. Remind me on Friday that I had a good Monday?

6. susan October 4, 2010 / 8:10 pm

Silver lining…little girl’s mom just won the county fair award for BEST APPLE PIE…and guess who’s eating one??? The week has already started improving…:-)