Hugs, New, and Rain

Before I share this week’s three beautiful things, I’d like to mention that, generally speaking – and this week included – the list is presented in chronological order, not by importance. Why am I telling you this? CYA, of course, since I don’t want any flack from my siblings about the order in which their children are listed.

1. I am waiting in an alcove at the Metro station when Brian, Jen, and the boys arrive. The kids see me, tear across the station, and attach themselves to me in the most enthusiastic, exuberant hugs an auntie – or anyone, really – could want.

2. James. As if there was a chance of him not making the list.

Sweet Baby James
Sweet Baby James

3. It rained like crazy all day and night on Thursday, so I got to fall asleep to the sound of rainfall, which I love. It was the best night’s sleep I’ve had in a while.

Special for today, a bonus item!

4. My housecleaning company came yesterday afternoon while I was at work – the first time they’ve been there when I haven’t. I can’t even describe how lovely it was to come home at the end of a long week’s work to find my apartment sparkling clean, freeing up my weekend completely.

8 thoughts on “Hugs, New, and Rain

1. Common Loon October 2, 2010 / 6:57 pm

Also in no particluar order: family, vegetables, and a grateful child.
    1. James. His healthy arrival, Eileen’s health, and the comraderie of waiting and sharing. What a blessing! I love being a part of my family!
    2. Having fresh garden vegetables in October. Usually we’re getting ready for snow and my fingers are freezing as I pull out the tomato cages. Today was a clear, cool, mid-50’s Fall day. When I went to pull out what appeared to be a dead zucchini plant, I was shocked that a fresh fat zucchini “baseball bat” was hidden under the leaves. I picked our last tomatos and such and then kept clearing the garden out, as we should hit freezing tonight.
    3. Our 6-yr-old woke up a changed (for the absolute best) man. I had been given an old NFL t-shirt, which I turned into some pretty cool pajamas. When he found them in his drawer, he was OVERJOYED (and his brothers were actually happy for him and not jealous!). His smile and gratitude almost burst my heart after a long week. He has yet to take them off. It’s been 2 days.

2. Shannon October 2, 2010 / 10:54 pm

Hmmm…been a tough week to find beautiful things (James’ arrival aside of course)…

1. But I am including it anyways…James’ arrival. Best.news.ever.

2. No tornadoes. Yes, Sarah I do have an irrational fear of them (JUST saw your Twitter response, sorry). Wish I could explain it. We were under a watch earlier in the week but nothing came of it except my nervous twitching all day Tuesday thank goodness.

3. Got the sump pump situation fixed, albeit a flooded basement too late thanks to the worst torrential downpour in recent history on Friday. But I think our basement is just cursed in that regard. This is our third full-fledged flood. 😡 It did spur us to get motivated to REALLY clean out our cluttered basement.

4. Bonus – foliage. What the 6-inch rainfall and serious wind gusts didn’t take down is still really pretty. The dry summer is producing an early vibrant fall foliage this year.

3. Eileen October 3, 2010 / 4:29 am

1. I know you’re usually chronological. So am I 🙂
    2. I love what you wrote about the boys. And I love their enthusiastic greeting. I know too that that is the stage we’re missing in their lives and it makes me wanna cry just writing it (gotta love the hormones 🙂

Finally, I’ll morph what I had intended to write as a 3BT into a Sunday snapshots tomorrow. We came home to a missing cat, which threw our homecoming off quite a bit. (Gracie accidentally found the plumbers access to the tub repair and crawled through the walls!! It took us about 3 hours to find her in the attic. Thankfully that was about an hour before help arrived to start cutting new holes in the wall!! Since July, Gracie has used up a minimum of 3 of her 9 lives!!)

4. Mom October 3, 2010 / 1:46 pm

Firstly, I think we are all on the “no favorites” thing here. LOVE them ALL dearly!!!

This is a comment from “Auntie Fran” relative to Sarah’s #1 above:

“It MUST confound Mommies that Aunties are so romanticized, hugged about the knees until they nearly fall over, etc. …. The JOY we receive from our sibling’s kids is wonderful beyond belief. I know exactly where Sarah is coming from. She, B & E are now getting back what they gave so generously years ago :). Ah, families!”

You are getting what you gave…..how nice ! Nothing more to say there…..

JAMES — our best gift of 2010 !!!!

Rain — sorry I can’t go along with #3. While it sounded nice for a while, the pounding deluge we got here was incredible. Not to mention my SHOCK at finding 18″ or so of standing filthy water in my basement on Friday morning. It was up to the third step! To make a LONG story short, it has been awful — lost my furnace (0nly 10 years old) and the hot water heater is iffy. I believe I have some insurance coverage but I’ll worry about that after my cuddle time with James. Right now — tis merely 57 in the house! My saviors were Fred & Joan who showed up from Newark about noon on Friday and we 3 cleaned side by side for 5 hours. My coping mechanism had pretty much shut down. The mess is mostly gone but the drying out continues. The City, the plumber, & the heat person have been here. New floor & sink “back flow” drains installed, new furnace coming in tomorrow….. Obviously, I can empathize with Sionna.

Am packing my bag & will be on my way to the other “Hs” very soon; can’t wait. How I love, love, love my boys! Being a Grandma makes all the other owies better 🙂

5. Shannon October 3, 2010 / 7:24 pm

Aw Mom that sucks. We didn’t even close to the crap that you’re going thru. We lost some stuff that we probably should have thrown away years ago and all of Steve’s music equip was all up on pallets, so WHEW! But nothing on your scale.

I hope you get back up and running again with new furnace pronto (uggggg!!!!). Hugs.

Enjoy your trip, give butterfly kisses to James for me and a hug to Eileen and forget ALLLLLL about it. 🙂

6. Mom October 3, 2010 / 10:04 pm

@ Shannon — kisses & hugs for sure!!! Thanks for the sympathy — this sure does give one pause to think of people who deal with REAL disasters like Katrina! Oh my….

7. Joanne October 3, 2010 / 10:43 pm

Coming home on maid’s day is my favorite moment of every two weeks!!

James is totally adorable!

8. sprite October 3, 2010 / 10:51 pm

@”Mom”: Aw, that sucks about your basement, but wonderful that family arrived to help you in the aftermath.

@Eileen: I’m so glad the kitty was found safe and sound, but I bet you all needed a long nap after that episode. Congratulations on being home, though, no matter how crazy it might be.

@Sarah: I’m delighted the rain has returned — and after giving us a beautiful weekend!