Babywatch Open Thread

So… Eileen’s due date is here, but as of this writing, she and Chris are still waiting – and in fact, according to a text message yesterday, she’s feeling like it’s going to be a while. This means we have time to throw around random predictions, advice, and other encouragement.

I’ll start.

• My official prediction is Wednesday. This is mostly because I’d like James to have a birthday that’s all his own and not shared with another member of the family – and the 29th is the soonest that can happen. (Sorry. I’m pretty sure you don’t actually want to wait that long.)
  • My advice/encouragement is to feel comfortable with ignoring as much well-meaning, you-have-to-do-this-or-blah-blah-blah advice as you wish. Feel confident that you and Chris know each other, and that you two will know James better than anyone else. Trust yourselves, nod and smile, and do it your way.

OK… Now that I’ve just kind of shat on the idea of advice giving, have at it in the comments, because for every piece of advice that isn’t going to work for their family, there is one that is going to be exactly what they need to know.

Oh, and when James decides to arrive, I’ll post a comment here right away (provided I get the OK from his parents) so if you want the breaking news, check the box below the comments that says “Notify me of follow-up comments via email.” This may mean a lot of messages for a few days, but messages full of happy encouragement that culminate in a “HE’S HERE!” message make for a cheery inbox, right?

UPDATE (9/28/10, 3:45 pm EDT)

James is not here, yet, but we now know when he will be, rather more specifically than we had expected. Eileen’s doctor has decided a c-section is going to be the safest way to bring him into the world, so he’ll be making his debut around noon CDT tomorrow. This means, of course, that I picked the correct birthday. 🙂

I’ll post the news of his arrival as soon as I get it, and photos as soon as I am given permission to do so by Eileen and Chris.

Update, 9/29/10, 3:35 p.m. EDT

James arrived a little over two hours ago. New post coming shortly with details.

17 thoughts on “Babywatch Open Thread

1. Common Loon September 26, 2010 / 12:09 pm

OK, I had to comment so I could get THE NEWS asap!

I’m sorry, but my predcition is the 4th or 5th, at whatever time Eileen get can worked into the doctor’s hospital’s schedule. I’d much prefer Emma’s adice on how to have a happy birthday – “BE BORN IN SEPTEMBER!” but alas I think James may take after his mama a bit already. Eileen has always blazed her own trail. Always. I think she’s going to find a totally “new” way to have a baby as far as this generation is concerned. I believe that James is going to be the biggest baby of the new generation, coming in at 9 pounds give or take.

My encouragement? Go have some fun with people. Go to Target and waddle around and tell the checkout person that you are / were due on the 26th. See what extra kindnesses people will give you, if only a smile. Go to Best Buy or Home Depot and freak out all of the young males. Maybe Chris could get some discounts? Make sure you have your pedicure (plus some of those folks believe they can rub your feet/legs in a way that induces labor). You had such a good pregnancy thus far, and you’ve modeled such a great attitude, why stop now?

My advice: If you choose to video James’ arrival, please do not post the video and don’t watch it 2 dozen times before you even leave the hospital.

2. Tami September 26, 2010 / 12:18 pm

I totally agree with Sarah…listen to all the “you-have-to-do-this-or-blah-blah-blah advice” and politely nod….but listen to your own heart and your own head first and foremost! All the advice is fine….but no one lives your life, and knows what the best for you and your family!

3. Fran Hodgkins September 26, 2010 / 1:26 pm

And, I , too , am weighing in here only because I want to be on “the first to know” list! I don’t know of any parents who ever wanted advice from their parents generation … So have a happy time raising James your way 🙂 Best wishes for the easiest delivery your linebacker will allow. Love and Hugs, Auntie Fran

4. mev September 26, 2010 / 2:49 pm

I’m just commenting so I can get on the list. My advice: Don’t let James drive until his feet can reach the pedals.

5. Mom September 26, 2010 / 2:52 pm

I have checked the box even though I think I’m pretty high up on the “first-to-know” list. 🙂 Not much advice will come from here unless solicited and I’m sure the parents of my other Grands will vouch for that. And I think Sarah is right, I too think James will wait to have his very own day!! Here’s hoping for a speedy, not too difficult an entrance, no matter how or where he does it. Grandma

6. susan September 26, 2010 / 6:20 pm

I want him born on 10/01/10…just cuz that’s a cool date. Sorry Eileen!
    And I’m going with the ‘smile and nod’ advice. People mean well…they just don’t know your kid 🙂
    Though…if you ever want to be told how beautiful your baby is….go to Walmart the day everyone gets their social security checks. Up here, it was the 3rd Tuesday of the month. It was always nice to hear my child looked like an angel from the 50 or so check-cashing seniors who got bussed in to Walmart. I admit it…after being up all night with one or both…I needed someone to point out they were beautiful. I took encouragement from anywhere I could get it….

7. susan September 26, 2010 / 6:20 pm

Oops..forgot to check the box!

8. Mom September 26, 2010 / 6:34 pm

@ Susan — that date is cool — you are so right! I know I try to be friendly with parents & kiddies, but, honestly, the looks tell you any more that people are wary of anyone being friendly :(. Going to check the box again. So far, not working!

9. Rudi September 26, 2010 / 7:36 pm

My unofficial prediction is that James was actually born 2 weeks ago and that Eileen pre-loaded the blog and Facebook with posts to pull the wool over our collective eyes.

10. Common Loon September 26, 2010 / 7:56 pm

@ mev: Good advice! My 6-year-old’s feet can reach the pedals. He steered up the driveway like he was Lightning McQueen (I grabbed the wheel so he couldn’t turn the hard 90 he was attempting). It’s hard to be cool in a minivan.

@ Mom: Checking the box hasn’t worked for me yet, either. So I will double-check my check.

@ Rudi: Brilliant!

11. Shannon September 26, 2010 / 9:21 pm

Rudi….LOL!!!

I like Oct 1 too. Sorry Eileen.

My daughter came a week early and while it was a good thing because she was starting to invade space already occupied by my lungs, I sort of wished that I had had that extra week to get more things done….like sit around and put my swollen feet up because I was done with work for two months, haha.

But knowing you, your lists are created and already done! 😉 And as for advice as to what to do…do whatever the heck you want!!! Can’t wait to hear the good news!

12. Eileen September 27, 2010 / 12:19 pm

Hi everyone – I thought I’d check in and let you all know we’re still incubating. Will know more after a check in with the doc this afternoon. I’ll post another comment then, but only if we know more. Assume that no news means no change, no action, still waiting, patiently of course 🙂

On the plus side, the bathtub got fixed this morning, and for less than we thought! So I can have my tubby time back tonight!

And lastly, Sarah is empowered to post a He’s Here message/comment, once that becomes true.

13. Rudi September 27, 2010 / 4:59 pm

Even this previous comment was pre-loaded, y’know – Eileen is crafty in that regard.

😉

14. Joanne September 27, 2010 / 10:46 pm

OK, I’m commenting to get on the list. Sarah has a lot more readers than I thought!

@mev–oops, the advice is too late. Wyatt is only 2, but he’s already driven our car and Pop-pop’s buggy! Don’t tell our insurance company.

15. Sarah September 28, 2010 / 3:44 pm

OK… I hope this update reaches all of you via email as it should, but I’m going to amend it to the post, too, just in case.

16. Common Loon September 28, 2010 / 5:22 pm

@ Sarah: Ahem. I think I picked right there with you by commenting “whenever the doctor / hospital can work her in.” So excited!!!!!!!!!

17. Sarah September 29, 2010 / 3:36 pm