First Day of Fall, Texas Style

Update: The spider is DEAD 🙂 Chris immobilized it with wasp spray and crushed it with a brick.  The picture is/would be anticlimactic but it is done!

We started the first day of fall 2010 with 90 percent humidity (at 4am, which I know from the weather channel and cause I couldn’t sleep) and temps that got up to about 90 mid-day. So much for walking around to “let gravity get things going” vis-a-vis James. I already have cankles…don’t want thankles.

But tonight’s discovery really takes the cake…I found this outside my bedroom a couple of hours ago… (its body is bigger than a 50 cent piece, adding in legs we’re talking the size of a wiffle ball).

According to my friend Amy, it is a female giant wood spider, also known as a golden silk orb-weaver.  I looked it up on wiki which says, “the venom of the golden silk orb-weaver is potent but not lethal to humans. It has a neurotoxic effect similar to that of the black widow spider; however, its venom is not nearly as powerful.”  Uh, don’t care.  Wood spider = black widow is all I needed to read.  Spider needs to die. NOW. But husband is not home. And preggo mama is NOT killing spiders tonight.  So hubby will have to do it in the dark when he gets home.  YUCK!

Have I mentioned how much I love Texas lately?  If I haven’t, perhaps now is a good time!

8 thoughts on “First Day of Fall, Texas Style

1. Mom September 23, 2010 / 9:36 pm

EeeeeUeeeeee!! Don’t even know how to spell it, but gawd, get it out of there!!!!!! Do you have a blow torch handy?? If not, get one!

• Eileen September 24, 2010 / 10:04 am

Mom – It’s like 2 feet from the house…blow torch seems like a bad idea! (And since there is a web and all I can’t get between the house and spider to torch the other way 😉

2. susan September 24, 2010 / 6:53 am

That would give me nightmares. That might give me nightmares even though I live 1,ooo miles away. Just knowing that thing exists…..YIKES!!!!! J. wants to know if there is something DNA-wise that transmits fear of spiders. I didn’t model it for her when she was little, yet Lauren is TERRIFIED. I mean…from before she was a year old, they’d scurry by and she would shake. I HATE those. POST AGAIN QUICKLY…I want that picture GONE!!!!!!!!

3. Sarah September 24, 2010 / 8:12 am

Bad enough that you put that horrible thing up on Facebook, but here, too? Is this your way of getting me off my lazy butt and posting again?

4. Eileen September 24, 2010 / 8:15 am

@ Susan – sorry to terrify you but glad I coaxed you back in to the comment-o-sphere 🙂 we’ve missed you!

@ Sarah – not my actual intent but if it works, hey, I’ll take the fringe benefit.

To all – I promise IF Sarah hasn’t posted by 3pm I’ll put up something new so the icky spider goes away. (And just so you know, I’ve contemplated putting up the dead spider pic so we all know the job is done – but it isn’t done yet so I can’t! Heaven help me!!)

5. Common Loon September 24, 2010 / 9:55 am

Typically, I would mind killing it for you – but oh my!!!! That is so huge that it would make a lot of crunch and gut-mess. YEAH CHRIS!!!

Truly, the first day of Fall should have posts about orchards, pies, even raspberries. For Susan’s sake, please post quickly. Could that deadline (pardon the pun) be E.S.T. and not P.S.T. (so it will be gone when she gets home from work)? I’m pretty sure she’ll comment if only in gratitude!

@ Susan: Don’t think there’s a DNA for it based on the creatures I have had shoved in my face (typically by Sarah’s counterpart).

• Eileen September 24, 2010 / 10:03 am

Yes CL – the 3pm “deadline” is EST. And by “Sarah’s counterpart” I assume you mean your middle child?

6. Mom September 24, 2010 / 6:22 pm

HORRAY for Chris!!!!! And, BTW, suggesting a blow torch was meant to be funny!! Have you considered a tazer, however. IT surely was big enough for that!! Of late — cuz it is the season when they migrate indoors — I suck them up with my dust buster & then plug the outlet with a tissue. Eventually between the dust & lack of oxygen, they go bye bye. And the instrument reaches up to the ceiling where the buggers gravitate. One of life’s little challenges SOLVED. 🙂