Sunday Snapshots: In the Kitchen

Even though it’s only September, there was a definite hint of fall in the air this weekend, which was absolutely lovely. The cooler temperatures and massive quantities of produce I picked with sprite, Rudi, and John on Labor Day, made my weekend tasks clear: cooking and baking.

I started out yesterday with peach muffins with a ginger streusel topping. They came out looking gorgeous and tasting even better. I could not have been happier with the recipe I chose. It can be found here, with my one substitution being 1/2 teaspoon of ginger in place of the cinnamon.

Peach muffins w/ ginger struesel topping.
Peach muffins w/ ginger struesel topping.

Today, I was even more ambitious, and managed to use up almost all of the rest of my pickings. I cooked four pounds of tomatoes into sauce (which came out to about four cups when finished) and turned a mix of the apples we picked – Cortlands, Jonareds, Cameos, and Honey Crisps – into about 10 cups of applesauce.

And then there were the pies. The orchard we went to had Cortlands, my all-time favorite baking apples, so I picked way, way too many. I made some (but not all) into two pies – one for now, and one for later. I don’t really have much of a recipe to share; I just use the flaky pastry recipe from The Joy of Cooking (I use the shortening/butter combo option) and fill it with sliced apples and a little cinnamon. It may be simple, but damn, it’s delicious.

Two apple pies, one for now and one for the freezer.
Two apple pies, one for now and one for the freezer.

Now the hard part… Muffins or pie for breakfast tomorrow?

11 thoughts on “Sunday Snapshots: In the Kitchen

1. Eileen September 12, 2010 / 11:57 pm

Thats easy. Some of each.

2. Mom September 13, 2010 / 6:47 am

You are your father’s daughters !!! The breakfast of champions — apple pie πŸ™‚

3. Mom September 13, 2010 / 6:49 am

Muffins for coffee break. What a way to start the week — your co-workers will love you!

4. Common Loon September 13, 2010 / 7:53 am

Don’t forget your dairy: a la mode on the pie πŸ™‚

• Sarah September 13, 2010 / 9:13 am

I realize it’s heresy, but I don’t like a la mode. I like ice cream, and I like baked goods, but not together.

5. Eileen September 13, 2010 / 10:02 am

So what did you have? We’re dying to know!! Okay not dying, but curios.

6. Mom September 13, 2010 / 10:07 am

Oh — at Mother Loon — your firstborn is 8 today!! Horray for him & you!!! A special HUG from his “Grandma Mary” & “aunties” in blogland πŸ™‚

7. Common Loon September 13, 2010 / 3:16 pm

Thank you everyone! Unlike his Aunt Sarah, he wants his baked good (super chocolate cake….took until his 8th b-day to request it, and it happens to be the year I was hoping we could just order an ice cream cake and call it a done deal!) served with chocolate ice cream with brownie pieces in it on top of his slice (a la mode :)). Oh, and it has to have blue icing. And if I could work a football into it, that would be great. I do wish Aunt Jen was here to save the day!!!!

8. Common Loon September 13, 2010 / 5:33 pm

(from oldest kiddo):
    thank you middle-schoolers! thanks family! loveyou and to all a good night

9. Fran Hodgkins September 15, 2010 / 1:39 pm

Great muffins … Even when you buy nectarines instead of peaches πŸ™‚ Ginger is perfect compliment. They do take twice as long to bake at 6,500 ft! Next week we are off to the apple orchard. Thanks (I guess) for the nudge into Fall. Hugs. Auntie Fran