10 on Tuesday: Reasons To Love Bacon

OK, so this might be the weirdest list prompt I’ve ever seen – so strange I had to wonder if I could think of 10 different reasons to love bacon, since for me there is only one: It is delicious. I then took a peek at the blog that sends me the list ideas, and realized the point was to list 10 things I love that involve bacon. Now, that’s easy-peasy. Here goes:

1. Bacon & eggs: Generally, over medium with as much bacon as I am allowed. (Growing up, this was usually three pieces – the result of a pound of bacon split five ways. As an adult, I’ve been known to split a pound with just one other person. Disgusting but true, right Sionna?)

2. BLT sandwich: Best in the summer when the tomatoes are insanely fresh, but really, there’s no wrong time. (One caveat: no toast. I don’t know who decided that all BLTs should be served on toast, but that ruins them, as far as I am concerned.)

3. Bacon cheeseburger: My current fave is the much too chi-chi bacon & blue burger, which replaces the usual American or cheddar with gorgonzola. Yum, yum, yum.

4. Bacon & cheese omelet: I got salmonella from one of these a long, long time ago, but even that didn’t dampen my enthusiasm… Well, except that I now only will eat it if I make it myself. Haven’t had one in a restaurant in going on 20 years.

5. Bacon fresh from the frying pan: You know… that “test” strip you eat when you’re cooking, juuuust to make sure you haven’t forgotten how to fry bacon.

6. Breakfast sandwich: Yeah, a breakfast sandwich can be made with ham or sausage, but why would you do that when there’s bacon in the world?

7. Heluva Good Bacon Horseradish Dip: I’m pretty sure this involves “bacon” rather than the actual meat, but it’s so unbelievably delicious I do not care.

8. Bacon wrapping: As in, bacon-wrapped filet mignon, or bacon-wrapped scallops, or bacon-wrapped dates (one of my favorite tapas at Jaleo) – wrapping something delicious in bacon seems to make it better.

9. Potato Bacon Chowder: One of the “secret” recipes I was given when I stopped working at Eammon’s, it’s also one of my favorite soups ever.

10. Super Grilled Cheese Sandwich: The staple of two local bars, Tunnicliff’s and Stoney’s, this involves cheese, bacon, tomatoes, and red onions on giant slices of white bread. It should come with a side of angioplasty, but instead they go with fries.

So… what bacony goodness did I miss? And are you hungry now? I sure am!

11 thoughts on “10 on Tuesday: Reasons To Love Bacon

1. katie o. August 10, 2010 / 6:45 pm

you had me at bacon. have you ever heard of bacon marmalade? i’ve heard it’s good, but i’m not quite brave enough to test it yet.
    i think you nailed this list. bacon just makes everything better.

2. Common Loon August 10, 2010 / 7:06 pm

My MIL made the BEST bacon & eggs, and no matter what I do I can’t replicate it. She also has a wonderful potato salad recipe with bacon in it, such that I no longer care for other potato salads.
    Chocolate covered bacon (state fair staple).
    Mom’s breakfast cookies (everyone always comments, “I never knew bacon could taste good in a cookie”).

3. susan August 10, 2010 / 7:17 pm

You didn’t miss much…but I love hot bacon dressing. My MIL does it on spinach at the major holidays. I also love bacon on a grilled chicken salad….ruining the health of the salad, I know! I love those little bacon wrapped hot dog things, too. I always say if you add cheese and bacon to it, it’s a winner! 🙂

4. Eileen August 10, 2010 / 9:12 pm

The Minnesota State Fair features an intriguing treat called a pig lick – chocolate covered bacon served on a stick. They seem quite popular.

5. Shannon August 10, 2010 / 9:22 pm

Yeah, one of my favorite ways to eat bacon is a pound split amongst friends. 🙂

That and grilled-cheese with bacon, bacon and eggs, a bacon egg and cheese sandwich, BLTs, bacon bits in my potato salad….I could go on and on.

6. Shannon August 10, 2010 / 9:32 pm

WAIT!!! I found out about some magical place (a bar/restaurant) on Martha’s Vineyard where you can order a basket of bacon. Grilled. It’s a side on the menu at the Atlantic Fish and Chophouse. Mmmmm!!! I’ll have a beer and bacon please…

I have a photo if Sarah is interested in posting it.

7. Mom August 11, 2010 / 7:23 am

Could these lists possibly replace America’s Favorite “food” ?? I think Minnesota has found the winner!! (P.S. Sarah — nowdays I’d make more than a pound stretch around the table!)

As an aside — this summer I had my first ever chocolate dipped potato chip. Milk chocolate, of course!! And (per the chocolatier) the chip HAD to be Ruffles — ridges hold more chocolate. YUMMY.

8. Mom August 11, 2010 / 7:30 am

P.S. #2 — I now grill my bacon too, Shannon. I have a small G.F. on my stovetop. It is slower going but far less messy than splattering & frying. Crispier & “healthier”. 🙂

9. Fran August 11, 2010 / 10:46 am

Ladies, I was planning to have cereal for breakfast.

Another yummy dish. Potato salad with crumbled crisp bacon and crumbled blue cheese. “Dress” with mayo and sour cream (‘hold’ the mustard) 🙂

10. Rudi August 11, 2010 / 12:30 pm

Ah – but what about the different kinds of bacon?

I mean, this list presumes U.S. “streaky” bacon as the meat of choice. But to many in Canada, the UK and other lands that see Elizabeth II as Queen, the bacon of choice is back bacon – i.e. “Canadian bacon,” which is lower in fat and a completely different experience.

Just being a bit nit-picky. I like both kinds of bacon, though only in small quantities. Some faves:

Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza. Yes, I’m usually a pizza purist (thank you, sprite, for that), but if I’m at a pizza joint where I know that the classic cheese or margarita ‘za isn’t up to snuff, I love the “CB&P” option. During ski season, it’s the bee’s knees.

Toasted bacon, tomato and Cheddar sandwiches. These are especially good when the tomatoes are heirloom and in season, the bread fresh with a nice crust, and the cheese from a place that knows how to make proper Cheddar.

Clams casino apizza. A purist pizza that’s very much a New Haven thing: white apizza with quahog clams that sit on small squares of lovely bacon – yum! Add in some roasted garlic and…. wow.

Canadian bacon and Swiss sandwich. With arugula and German mustard on multi-grain bread, this is soooooo good.

Blue bacon burger. Like Sarah’s fave: a high-quality burger on a crusty bun with bacon and blue cheese (either gorgonzola or Maytag blue work great for this). I’ve also tried this with crumbled feta or chevre for variation – also good.