OK, so this might be the weirdest list prompt I’ve ever seen – so strange I had to wonder if I could think of 10 different reasons to love bacon, since for me there is only one: It is delicious. I then took a peek at the blog that sends me the list ideas, and realized the point was to list 10 things I love that involve bacon. Now, that’s easy-peasy. Here goes:
1. Bacon & eggs: Generally, over medium with as much bacon as I am allowed. (Growing up, this was usually three pieces – the result of a pound of bacon split five ways. As an adult, I’ve been known to split a pound with just one other person. Disgusting but true, right Sionna?)
2. BLT sandwich: Best in the summer when the tomatoes are insanely fresh, but really, there’s no wrong time. (One caveat: no toast. I don’t know who decided that all BLTs should be served on toast, but that ruins them, as far as I am concerned.)
3. Bacon cheeseburger: My current fave is the much too chi-chi bacon & blue burger, which replaces the usual American or cheddar with gorgonzola. Yum, yum, yum.
4. Bacon & cheese omelet: I got salmonella from one of these a long, long time ago, but even that didn’t dampen my enthusiasm… Well, except that I now only will eat it if I make it myself. Haven’t had one in a restaurant in going on 20 years.
5. Bacon fresh from the frying pan: You know… that “test” strip you eat when you’re cooking, juuuust to make sure you haven’t forgotten how to fry bacon.
6. Breakfast sandwich: Yeah, a breakfast sandwich can be made with ham or sausage, but why would you do that when there’s bacon in the world?
7. Heluva Good Bacon Horseradish Dip: I’m pretty sure this involves “bacon” rather than the actual meat, but it’s so unbelievably delicious I do not care.
8. Bacon wrapping: As in, bacon-wrapped filet mignon, or bacon-wrapped scallops, or bacon-wrapped dates (one of my favorite tapas at Jaleo) – wrapping something delicious in bacon seems to make it better.
9. Potato Bacon Chowder: One of the “secret” recipes I was given when I stopped working at Eammon’s, it’s also one of my favorite soups ever.
10. Super Grilled Cheese Sandwich: The staple of two local bars, Tunnicliff’s and Stoney’s, this involves cheese, bacon, tomatoes, and red onions on giant slices of white bread. It should come with a side of angioplasty, but instead they go with fries.
So… what bacony goodness did I miss? And are you hungry now? I sure am!