Tradition, Music, and Swagger

Saturday is nearly at an end, but I’d be remiss if I let it pass without a look at three beautiful things from the past week.

1. I had completely forgotten that the end of the summer intern season in my office is always accompanied by an ice cream social, so the tweet from a colleague reminding me of it came as a very happy surprise. And they had lemon sorbet – one of my favorites! – which made it even nicer.

2.Friday night’s Arcade Fire concert absolutely exceeded my expectations. It had a madcap energy that made it one of the most lively, joyous, and entertaining shows I’ve ever seen.

3. As part of his (ultimately successful) pitch for an expensive and out-of-his-age-bracket Lego White House kit, my nephew told me, brimming with self-confidence, “I am a Lego expert. I can build anything!”

What’s been beautiful in your life this week?

9 thoughts on “Tradition, Music, and Swagger

1. Eileen August 7, 2010 / 11:25 pm

It has been a HOT week in Texas, so my week has been rather quiet and yet, there is still beauty in the quiet…(if not sleep)

1. I had my first prenatal massage on Tuesday. It was the first time I have been able to lay on my tummy in months, thanks to a very large donut pillow. Both the tummy time and the massage were divine.

2. I made noticeable progress on cleaning the home office…and while it’s not done, it feels good to be able to see the floor and the “work” table (not the piled high to the ceiling table!)

3. Lastly, I found some lovely “home grown” tomatoes at the grocery store (from both Tennessee and Texas) that actually tasted like real tomatoes! What a treat 🙂
    …also found some fantastic local peaches, and tasty strawberries and raspberries…a yummy week!

2. sprite August 7, 2010 / 11:26 pm

1. I, too, was impressed by Arcade Fire’s stage presence.

2. John and I went to see The Breakfast Club tonight. I still love Ally Sheedy.

3. My class today reminded me of how centered I feel after structured yoga sessions.

3. sprite August 7, 2010 / 11:27 pm

Oh, and when I got home tonight, the futon frame and mattresses were gone.

4. Eileen August 7, 2010 / 11:31 pm

Hey, when the Lego White House masterpiece is completed, can you guys photograph it and maybe make it the Sunday snapshot? I’d love to see it! Thanks

5. common loon August 7, 2010 / 11:32 pm

1. After 3 hours at lacrosse camp, oldest went to his first hockey camp. Got there 30 minutes early to suit up in what equipment we could muster (for example, a lacrosse helmet and street hockey stick). He positively BEAMED when he came off the ice. He did alright.
    2. Same child went to a hockey firesale last night and now has hockey gear (for <$200, and that includes bag & skate guards!). He looks so old! And he is so proud that he can put it all on himself, and that he is conversant about his jock.
    3. After 9 holes of golf (5 of us + Grandpa), we DQ'd (blizzards / sundaes) and finished with 2v2 lacrosse. Everyone hung in, and skills improved throughout the day. There was much smiling, laughing, and sweating…an AWESOME day!

6. Joanne August 8, 2010 / 9:53 am

I only have one: Wyatt is still alive, even after last nights multiple multi-hour freakouts that kept the whole house up. 2 year molars suck.

7. Common Loon August 8, 2010 / 10:12 am

@Joanne: Hang in. Good that Wyatt is alive, but the rest sure does suck!!!

8. Shannon August 8, 2010 / 5:26 pm

Friday was a my beautiful thing. Third consecutive uber-long week at work (is this ever going to stop??) with no end in sight. So Friday has been an extra beautiful sight for three weeks running.

No wait, we did have another beautiful thing. We (but mostly my husband) participated in a breast cancer awareness fundraiser on Saturday and raised over $2500 for the Susan G Komen foundation. We even walked away with a door prize of a bright pink fold-up chair which will be great for softball game spectating. Hubby’s band provided the entertainment (for free) and all had a great time.