This week’s 10 on Tuesday topic, once again courtesy of Carole Knits, is “10 Things to Do Instead of Watching TV.” Given that I just invested in my first ever brand-new television earlier this year, I’ve been spending enough time in front of it to make writing this list hard. I’m sure I used to do something other than sit on the couch…
1. Read – I used to be a huge reader, but have fallen off a lot in the past few years. I don’t think tv is entirely to blame, but it’s definitely a factor.
2. Write – Another thing I’d like to be doing more, not just for this blog, but in general. My Great American Novel isn’t going to write itself.
3. Work on my photos – I have a jillion pictures that need editing, captioning, and organizing. I’m also spread out between Flickr, Picasa, and Facebook, so streamlining my digital presence is another task. I also have no printed photos from about 2003 on, so creating and ordering print photo books would be another project.
4. Knit – Though I can (and sometimes do) this while watching tv, I should do more with the tv off, as well.
5. Clean – On the weekends and evenings, tv is my #1 avoidance tool for all manner of household chores.
6. Exercise – Though I am getting better at going to the gym in the mornings, the pull of my couch – and the boob tube – is too much when I get home at night.
7. Play Wii – My Wii is probably the most expensive dust-catcher I have, but it’s not all that much fun to play alone. Maybe I should start inviting people over for game night…
8. Spend time with friends – I already try to be good about not prioritizing watching something over spending time with friends, but it never hurts to actually say that out loud – or in pixels.
9. Web surf – Keeping the list reality-based, this is what I am generally most likely to do if I’m not watching tv.
10. Sleep – Practically every night I think at some point, “Why am I watching this? I should just go to bed.” And so maybe I will, one of these days.